Skip to content

Discuss This Cyclists Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Cyclists

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Chambers  says:

Cyclists

I keep reading about these damn cyclists trying to put us off the road. The thing is they have no right- we pay road tax, they don't! If they damage their bike on a pothole they claim from the council as well as us tax payers do, and what right have they got to go through red traffic lights? Police turn...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (18 August 2008 09:57)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Grimbeard

Mar 03

Grimbeard says:

Correction to Steve H

Steve H, you say "If you read a bit more widely you might know that so called road tax paid by motor vehicle users does not cover even half the cost of maintaining roads or building new ones." Actually, figures from the AA have consistently shown over the 15 years since I first joined them that only approximately 10% of the revenue raised from "Vehicle Licence Duty" is spent on the road network. The rest of our road tax goes into the exchequer's general coffers. Plus there's the insurance tax, fuel tax, VAT on sales, servicing, parts...

Reply to this Topic
The First Ninja

May 07

Red light dodgers

Not just red light dodging, but undertaking at junctions is always a cyclist top priority, I tend to find the just aim for em approach works really well, if a cyclist is stupid enough to do it, Im more than happy to oblige, had 3 in the last 4 years, still missing 2008's victim though Who knows it could be you! If you wonder how you can tell, just watch out for the wicked glint in my eyes as you fly through the air. Having said all that I aint got a problem with yer average cyclist, just those that run the reds and undertake at junctions.

Reply to this Topic
polainm

Mar 09

polainm says:

Tarring with same brush

Many MCN comments and letters totally fail to acknowledge the vast numbers of cyclists who are very experienced road users, have no problem with motorcyclists who are considerate, and share the same problems of killer pillars, very inexperienced drivers, bullying bus drivers, and all other forms of death passed down through traffic and road layout.

The CTC and other cycling campaign groups are right to be concerned about 200kg of motorbike using the bus lane. The real issue here is not the bicycle user, bus or motorbike, but the road layout.

In many places across Europe, traffic has its place on the highway, some places like Assen, Offenburg or Copenhagen, have very high levels of decent cycle infrastructure and bus services. This is well thought out, clear, and works well. Conflicts as we are debating here is rare. Italy and Paris being an exception!

The real villains are the DfT and TfL.

These rants against cyclists need to stop. Motorcyclists ranting about the minority of idiots on bicycles is as bad as drivers ranting about tw*ts on motor bikes. This bigotry is socially corrosive and will get us nowhere. If you really need to point the finger, point it at the Department of Transport. An out of touch collection of bumbling meddlers who have failed the UK for the last 40 years.

If only two-wheeler pressure groups could unite, then the idiot leading DfT might take some notice.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
polainm

Mar 09

polainm says:

Education required

For crying out loud, will those banging on about insurance and road tax that cyclists don't pay go and learn something. I'm not going to go into detail informing you here, just go and learn more about it, as it makes you look really stupid, and I don't want to be associated with stupid bikers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices