Skip to content

Discuss This Triumph moving to Thailand- cheaper for who? Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > Triumph moving to Thailand- cheaper for who?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Triumph moving to Thailand- cheaper for who?

Kevin Ash's article regarding Truimph's decision to move production to Thailand prompts me to expand on the theme of heritage, honesty and country of manufacture. The justification for moving British jobs to China is often that its cheaper, but cheaper for who? Not the consumer! How much did Barbour clothing plummet in price when they went to China? Or Snap On...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (22 August 2008 14:47)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eddyuk1978

Feb 08

eddyuk1978 says:

Say what???

Like most of the previous posters i am breath-taken, how many products are made in britain today? it seems very few, it turns my stomach when i get my 'Oxford sports' panniers home only to open them up and find a made in indonesia sticker inside. i feel like half the money i spent was wasted on shipping them over here. when i spend my money i don't want it to go towards developeing a third world economy i want it to go towards building a water-tight british firm that pays british workers to do valuable jobs. at least that way i will be able to wring somebodys neck if said product is not up to scratch. I personally won't be forking out for a thaiumph and i will think twice about going to the dealers for spare parts for my thruxton. Thethruxtonkid...

Reply to this Topic
shazhome

Aug 02

shazhome says:

Thailumph Update

Owing to this heated debate I thought I would investigate further, so last week I had a chat with a Triumph dealer I have known for some years and feel I can trust, expressing my concerns. He clarified the situation for me and eased my mind a little. Triumph manufacturing will continue as normal at Hinkley producing 35,000 bikes per year (this is full capacity) because of world wide demand Triumph have had to activate another manufacturing base, sadly due to land not being available in the UK at the right price for the huge site required, Triumph had to look else where (dare say that the government would offer no help either). Thailand came up with the most cost effective results. They have been manufacturing bikes for sometime now , mainly for supply to Japan and other counties. However, due to UK demand some bikes will be sent back to UK to fullfill orders.Their is a way of telling which is UK and which is Thai built but I am sworn to secrecy on this! If you are concerned about where your new bike is coming from tell your dealer you want a "Britsh" built one and i have no doubt that they will do their best to accomodate, but beware that you may have to wait longer for delivery.

Reply to this Topic
eddyuk1978

Feb 08

eddyuk1978 says:

thaiumph

It still sucks, if there was a viable british alternative i would jump ship like a horny cricket..

Reply to this Topic
marktth

Sep 08

marktth says:

Triumph in Thailand

I am an Ex pat living & working in Thailand. The Thais produce many many products to a high quality. (also some rubbish). The good stuff is engineered & overseen by the foreign parent companies, mostly Japanese. They make cars for Honda, Toyota,Ford, Mazda & others. These are exported around the world & no one would know the difference. Having a factory here also opens up S.E. Asia to Triumph, because Thailand has free trade agreements with many of them. Triumph would not otherwise be able to compete with the japs or anyone else otherwise, because of high import duties. We can complain that thats unfair, bht its reality. Triumph management has got off its duff & put the company in a position where it can compete world wide (because of low Thai labour costs)& expand the company, keeping the engineering, R&d, BRING THE PROFITS to the UK & keep on production from Hinckley. Does anyone remember the reason(s) why Meriden folded ? I know they were manyfold, but at the heart was a management who did not understand that time moves forwards & companies have to change to stay in business. Did the people in Japan cry when Toyota started in Burnanston ? , no, why ?, because they were happy that Toyota were on the march in the early nineties to becoming the worlds largest car producer. You dont get there by sitting in your home country being xenophobic, you get up & expand ! Luckily the Triumph management seem to realise this.

Reply to this Topic
RedMerle

Aug 12

RedMerle says:

Triumph's Thai skeleton-in-the-cupboard seems to have gone virtually undetected in the media for the last 4 years. I know why they've done it and while I may not like it, I don't see that they have much choice. What concerns me more is that I don't see the quality in their current bikes that was so apparent in the near indestructible first generation Hinckley Triumphs that I've owned since the mid to late 90's. Also, I wonder why they are so reluctant to do factory tours now? That certainly used to be a highlight of owning a British built Triumph.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices