Skip to content

Discuss This BMW admits quality control problems Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > BMW admits quality control problems

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BMW admits quality control problems

The quality of BMW motorcycles has suffered due to a massive boost in sales, the firm has admitted. BMW motorcycles for sale The German motorcycle manufacturer, which has a strong reputation for reliability and quality, has failed to maintain standards while struggling to meet a rise in demand of over 40%, according to bosses.  Get the latest BMW motorcycle news here Around 7,000...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 September 2008 16:07)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tkalfaoglu

Sep 08

tkalfaoglu says:

Ugly bikes

I guess it's the BMW name that attracts people to these bikes?

Reply to this Topic
JATownsend

Sep 08

JATownsend says:

BMW Issues

BMW has a ton of problems, and they aren't caused by them increasing production.Their Final Drives have been failing for years, now they are also failing on the new generation bikes.The EWS problem has been going on for 3 years, they are just now addressing it. Many components on Beemers are weak and prone to failure: Engine seals, transmissions, Slave Cylinders, ABS units to mention a few. The worst part is theat BMW Motorrad is unfriendly and hostile to owners, and to dealers. They continue to lose dealers and don't seem to care. These bikes offer tremendous technology, ergonomics and creature comforts... BUT, they have lost their durability and robustness. Pity. PS: I ride a BMW LT.

Reply to this Topic
DaveDragon

Sep 08

DaveDragon says:

BMW Issues

My 2006 R1200GS Adventure has suffered Two(2) Final Drive Failures in it's short 57,000 mile lifespan. The first happened out of warranty by miles but BMW covered it. The second happened three(3) weeks ago and once again, BMW covered it under warranty. The Brand has seen a rash in recent Final Drive failures on the K1200LT, K1200GT and R1200GS lines. Last weeks Curve Cowboy Reunion in Utah brought on five(5) final drive failures among attendees. While BMW is covering these failures; the failure events tend to leave one stranded in the middle of nowhere, on the road away from home requiring an outlay of cash for towing, rentals and lodging. BMW will reimburse these things if the Dealer knows to request them via BMW NA. If not, your out of pocket for it all.

-Dave

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
big alan

May 08

big alan says:

in the design dept

are the dafts done but drunk monkeys with only one eye

Reply to this Topic
rcgd

Sep 08

rcgd says:

Fuel pump failure

An electronic component of the fuel pump failed on my R1200GS recently and the engine cut out after an overtake. The situation could easily have resulted in loss of life. BMW owes it to its bike owners to recall bikes with faulty components that are safety critical. It simply is not good enough to say that they will be replaced at the next servicing. Ironically this happened three weeks ago 10 days after a servicing.

Reply to this Topic
guy195

Jan 04

guy195 says:

Get a Stelvio

If you are hacked off with your GS, buy a Guzzi Stelvio. Much more original and built to last.

Reply to this Topic
MotoXp

Sep 08

MotoXp says:

Wake Up BMW

What bullshit. I have had 2 fuel pumps and 3 pump controllers fitted to my 4 year old GS. Its the most unreliable bike I have ever owned. Its the most corroded and in a shocking condition after 55,000 miles. Everyone I talk to has also had lost of faults.

Reply to this Topic
rcgd

Sep 08

rcgd says:

Quality control problems

To suggest that the increase in demand has caused reliability problems is nonsense. The problem lies with the poor quality of the components in the first place which are clearly not made to a high enough standard.

Reply to this Topic
tomo1200

Sep 08

tomo1200 says:

Quality Issues...

If BMW produced cars of such shoddy quality as their motorcycles, they would never sell another car. I have had BMWs for over 10 years, my R1100GS i bought new in 1998, and had numerous warranty/quality issues, including 2 sets of corroded wheels replaced within 18 months, alternator failing after 12 months and leaving me stranded, fromt wishbone being replaced due to corrosion after 12 months. Overall quality of finish for a bike that cost, at the time, £10,000 was appaling. I now have an R1200GS Adventure, and again have been plagued with problems, from the cam chain cover and bolts being replaced due to corrosion, and the immobiliser has failed not once, but twice!! Leaving me stranded on both occasions, and never as much as an apology or gesture of good will from BMW. BMW quality issues are nothing new, and they only get away with it because we are a minority of their global market and relatively insigniticant to them behind their car sales etc.

Reply to this Topic
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

Bad practise

I work in quality for a large manufacturing company & I deal with this problem all the time. The fact is senior management are so concerned with getting their numbers that they often over ride the quality department when concerns are raised, quality engineers all over the world & in many different industries are constantly trying to get management to look at the long term picture not just the short term quick buck. BMW have got to realize that when customers have a bad experiance with their product, they will take their cash elsewhere & they will tell all their mates, work collueges etc.. to stay clear. A good, responsible & forward thinking company should never knowingly send a faulty product out the door.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices