You are in... Forums > General > General > DVLA are at it again

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MAD~DOG

Jan 08

MAD~DOG says:

DVLA are at it again

A nice ride in to work this morning was spoiled by an advert on the back of the bus...

a large picure of a motorcycle(BMW) & rider, with the words "1% of traffic...31% casualties....riders need more training"

The DVLA advert forgot to mention that 50% of bike accidents are caused by car drivers! what about more training for them...

This crap just makes me MAD:mad:...........not only do we as tax payers foot the bill for this shite but it gives car drivers even more of an excuse 'not to see you' and feel justified about it.

How do these autocratic automatons at the DVLA get away with it, does nobody have the power to stop this! after all this is not the first time they have got their facts wrong:shock: remember the untaxed motorcycle fiasco.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 September 2008 08:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
staffsknot

Jun 08

staffsknot says:

Would this be

the same DVLA that said I never passed my bike  or HGV / LGV / tracked vehicle test because I changed address - a requirement by law to inform them - and as such made me redo bike test in full before asking me why I had taken my test again? They had a record of my 125 pass just no associated date.

If it is the same one they could screw up a wet dream mate so I put nothing past them!

Reply to this Topic
ghengis khan

Aug 03

ghengis khan says:

sod em

sod the lot of em DVLA, all of em...... whats the point of it all? whole damn country is going to hell in a hand basket :upset: ride your bike whatever. you got a licence or not got one because them eejits in Swansea cant get their shit together so what?

damn this weather, it carries on raining I'm gonna ride my bike off Beachy head. :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
geoffart

Apr 08

geoffart says:

who can take action?

Maybe if all bikers joined a group/union so they were represented by a body, or an organisation.  Somehow it could make it more difficult to say things like that without supporting evidence, for fear of legal action.

Of course, if it were true that bikers killed were so, due to insufficient training, then I say the ads fine, but if it’s not, who can take action?

I believe a learner should start out shaky, taking things easy and slowly, over the months and years, they get more confident and feel at one with the bike! You can’t condense that down into a few days training, and if you tried, it would be very expensive!

BMF and the like could call for an official probe into why bike accidents occur, followed by a discussion into whether the solution really is off-road training for motorcyclists or not.

Reply to this Topic
Des_Fireblade

Apr 08

Mad

would the advert been more acceptable if it wasn't a BMW....:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
MADMARK99

Jan 05

MADMARK99 says:

90% of statistics are wrong

unfortunately, when they plaster them all over the back of a bus or on bill boards, 99% of people bloody believe them. :mad:

There should be a fukin law against statistics!

And i thought it was 60% of accidents were caused by other vehicles against bikes, so it goes to show how bad so called STATISTICS are. :mad:

use this meter when ever bloody STATS are mentioned!
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee256/madmark99/funny/525.gif?t=1220622022

Reply to this Topic
peter rabbit

Nov 02

peter rabbit says:

Bus

Well imho - many motorists couldn't see the damned bus so maybe DVLA recon'd no one would see the ad..

Sorry to be cynical but:

Think once ..think twice.. oh fuck it I'm off.....

Treat em all like twats I say.

However, round this part of Wales some 4 or 5 of  us have ceased to exist for various reasons this year. Some due to  "didnt see ya" syndrome, some due to "Yeeehaah, go for it!" syndrome and some because shit happens. Whichever way its 4 or 5 brothers too many.

No amount of training - for bikers or car drivers - will bring them back.

Wab

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Normally I would

agree that DVLA were wrong in placing this advert but after having to stop a young learner on his scooter the other day.

My reason for doing this was he was all over the road riding one handed, and when I stopped him in his other hand was an ipod.

Need I say more.

Reply to this Topic
dougie399

Nov 05

dougie399 says:

Yes Smidget

you do - had he not heard of the i phone??? :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

sod 'em all lol

i get sick of seeing ads like that - im on placement on a stroke ward... 90% have never smoked or drank and they cringe when i tell them i love bikes coz they're dangerous... I got told a long time ago that you have to hope that you're still going to be here in a year but live each day like its your last...

I've had 3 mates die in 4 months - cancer, long term illness and one with a blood clot who was 11wks preg... ages 30 (just), 36 and 36... like i say to my patients - u never know when your time is up so you got to cram it all in and do what you love... dvla are arses lol

Reply to this Topic
adam.jo2

Jun 07

adam.jo2 says:

with you all the way

Turned my life around 4 years ago.  Life was going by and I was treading water.  Now I am onto my second wife and second bike too.  Spend every penny I earn and do something every day that makes me smile.  Don't let these idiots get you down and don't waste time dwelling on their bollox, get on with life, live it, be good if not then be very bad, :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices