Skip to content

Discuss This BMW Quality Issues Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > BMW Quality Issues

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

tomo1200

Sep 08

tomo1200 says:

BMW Quality Issues

If BMW produced cars of such shoddy quality as their motorcycles, they would never sell another car. I have had BMWs for over 10 years, my R1100GS I bought new in 1998, and had numerous warranty/quality issues, including 2 sets of corroded wheels replaced within 18 months, alternator failing after 12 months and leaving me stranded, front wishbone being replaced due...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 September 2008 14:35)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

Bad practise

I work in quality for a large manufacturing company & I deal with this problem all the time. The fact is senior management are so concerned with getting their numbers that they often over ride the quality department when concerns are raised, quality engineers all over the world & in many different industries are constantly trying to get management to look at the long term picture not just the short term quick buck. BMW have got to realise that when customers have a bad experiance with their product, they will take their cash elsewhere & they will tell all their mates, work collueges etc.. to stay clear. A good, responsible & forward thinking company should never knowingly send a faulty product out the door.

Reply to this Topic
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

about time ?

i purchased a 1100 BMW 3 years ago and was extremely disappointed with the poor quality of the finish and it's unreliability,i sold it after 9 months,never to buy another one ever

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

BMW Quality Issues

tomo1200 - after the long list of things wrong with your BMW, why did you buy another? I'm tempted to think that it's the badge that matters more than the bike after such a poor experience. The best way for BMW to get the message is for them to have a showroom full of unsellable bikes. That'd wipe the self-satisfied, arrogant smiles off their faces.

Reply to this Topic
kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

B.M.W. quality.

I tend to think that any quality issues regarding B.M.W. bikes is more to do with the owners and dealers than the manufacturers. Most owners have their bikes serviced by the dealers who in my experience are not to gifted when it comes to doing the job properly. The owners as has been stated elsewhere in this article only own the marque as a status symbol and dont regard themselves as someone who should be soiling their hands keeping the machine clean and polished. I on the other hand do all my own repair work and servicing, no matter what needs doing. Therefore I get to know how to keep my machine in good working order, and looking good. My machine is a 1997 R1100 RT with 69000 trouble free miles on the clock, and gets used whenever I'm not working. Only last weekend we rode upto Dartmoor, Plymouth, Dartmouth and home (South Wales)415 miles in a day without any trouble. (A typical ride-out for us is 300/400 miles. If you want to get the most out of your machines and keep them looking good I suggest you use them more and get yourselves a workshop manual and a set of spanners, you will get far more out of the experience than you do whinging about problems that dont exist.

Reply to this Topic
dyrlege

Apr 06

dyrlege says:

Quality problems?

BMW bikes are often ridden long and hard, and need their servicing regularly. And some TLC! Given their popularity you will find some that fail, but in my experience the BMW mobility guarantee (three years) and excellent follow-up covers that!

Reply to this Topic
DaveDragon

Sep 08

DaveDragon says:

BMW Quality

I have Two BMW bikes, a 2002 K1200LT with 110,000 miles and no major failures to date; and a 2006 R1200GS Adventure with 58,000 miles, that has had two Final Drive Failures.

Both bike are ridden hard and maintained well using only the best products.

Quality is built in during the design, manufacturing and Assembly phases and at each phase Quality Standards have to be reinforced rigidly to insure only Quality units get out the door.

BMW has let too many quality issues slip out the doors and is damaging their reputation as a Marquee Brand.

Ride it like you stole it

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
andy griff

Sep 08

andy griff says:

BMW quality - what about the others

Lets get this in perspective. So BMW have a few problems, but what about the Honda pan European weave issue or Suzuki TL100S rotary damper, or Triumph cracked frames...the list is endless. No manufacturer is perfect. For me BMW still produce quality machines that are my ride of choice.

Reply to this Topic
thedukeofhunslet

Nov 07

I bought one

When you look at the sales figures you can see that BMW has been a rapidly expanding force. I never dreamt of owning one and then I tried one and that was that. Over the last 4 years the number of my friends that have bought them from having had jap bikes is huge. When we go out we look like a BMW club now!!! I have an R1200s - it hasn't missed a beat. Tonight I shall be collecting a nearly new R1200GS Adventure as well. This business of the EWS ring going is annoying but BMW are changing it when the bikes are getting a major service I understand so can't really say much more then that. Does a Jap bike have built in immobiliser as standard? No. Which is why you will find your BMW insurance is significantly lower then any equivalant marque. AND ANOTHER THING. BMW provide 2 years rescue with all new bikes and if you've ever used it you'll know its better then anything else out there.

Reply to this Topic
tomo1200

Sep 08

tomo1200 says:

BMW

iancol, badges really don't mean anything to me, but after 10 years i was assuming that BMW may have got their act together. I wanted a newer big trail/tourer, and bought the GS based on its size, not badge.

Reply to this Topic
tomo1200

Sep 08

tomo1200 says:

B.M.W. Quality

kentuckey, thanks for the advice, but i already own a set of spanners, and spend plenty of my time maintaining, working on and cleaning my bikes, as well as soiling my hands as as a maintenance engineer for a living. I also do plenty of riding, and the problems i have had DO exist, ARE inconvenient, ARE common, and i am not whinging about them, merely relaying my experiences.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle