Skip to content

Discuss This BMW Quality Issues Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > BMW Quality Issues

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

tomo1200

Sep 08

tomo1200 says:

BMW Quality Issues

If BMW produced cars of such shoddy quality as their motorcycles, they would never sell another car. I have had BMWs for over 10 years, my R1100GS I bought new in 1998, and had numerous warranty/quality issues, including 2 sets of corroded wheels replaced within 18 months, alternator failing after 12 months and leaving me stranded, front wishbone being replaced due...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 September 2008 14:35)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
minkyhead

Jan 05

minkyhead says:

bmw reliability

i dipped me toe in on the gs stranded three times brake failure ...self operating throttle ...clutch failure ..fuel pump failure all in just 9k miles im sorry just not ggod enough on a 11k bike i must have done around half a million miles in the last 35 years on jap bikes ...with one snapped chain and a failed rectifier .....????

Reply to this Topic
SpikeR45

Sep 08

SpikeR45 says:

Quality non existent

like Tomo1200, I feel that BMW quality is really a bad joke! I'm 52 and have ridden BM's continuously since I was 20, during these 30 odd years none of the models were ever perfect but at least one could adjust or fix it simply. However since purchasing the 1200Gs my BM glasses have finally fallen off. All of the problems encountered with Tomo1200, as well as a few others, have made ownership a nightmare! I live in Taiwan and belong to the BMW club, my case is by no means isolated (we have 14GS's)and ride in groups which is the only way to feel comfident that your going get home that day!! This all on bike that is supposed to be an Adventure bike! Indeed the only adventure is increasingly how to bring the bucket home! I simply dont understand what BMW engineers are thinking but they would do well to return to simple technologies they understand rather then CONSTANTLY throwing semi finished wonder products on the market...shame on you BMW!!

Reply to this Topic
jonnyp42

Apr 08

jonnyp42 says:

K1200S

Took my K in today for it's 6,000 mile service (it's a little over 2yrs old). It needs a new clutch which is £900 for the parts alone, I'm not impressed. Luckily I took a yrs extended warranty so it's going to cost me the excess of £100. But as I pointed out to BMW customer services the warranty + excess is £500 and given that the bike has such low mileage a good will repair might well have cost less! They didn't seem to follow my logic.. back to Honda?

Reply to this Topic
stephen01

May 07

stephen01 says:

I don't want one!

thedukeofhunslet 'Does a Jap bike have built in immobiliser as standard?' well last time i looked at the flashy red light thingy on speedo of my Yamaha FJR1300A then I would have to say YES!!!

Reply to this Topic
rickanne

Sep 08

rickanne says:

1200GS

Well, after 25years on Jap bikes with not one problem of any kind I followed all the hype and bought a 1200gs. But reliability has been a pain. Oils leaks started after 2500miles. A crack in the cylinder head sprayed oil all over me and the engine was strip and rebuilt at 6000miles with a new head. It was off the road for five weeks - took weeks to get into the dealer because the warranty cliams list was so long. I was on holiday during the time without a bike. So much for the hype. To be fair I do think its a great bike but the hassle and worry of problems is not worth it. Looks like I will be going back to the good all Jap clan - worry free! And I must say its put me off buying a BMW car fot fear of the same.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices