Skip to content

Discuss This Road deaths up for Brunstrom – again Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Road deaths up for Brunstrom – again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Road deaths up for Brunstrom – again

Deaths have doubled on the roads of controversial police chief Richard Brunstrom, nicknamed the Mad Mullah of speed cameras.  Figures just released on North Wales Police’s website show 17 people lost their lives on the region’s roads in the year to August compared to nine the previous year. It’s the eighth month in a row the force has reported a yearly...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (15 September 2008 09:40)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Speed Cameras

And why is it on a recent jaunt up to Brunstromes feeding ground, the villages I came to which I slowed down to 30mph under my own common sense and consideration. Why didnt they have the speed camera at the beginning of the village to slow you down? They had it at the end of the village where the national speed limit sign was in vision, but you were still going through the speed trap lines....... I noticed this on 4 occasions. Safety Cameras, my arse !

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Speeding, etc

Yes, kcmc, it's all vehicles, including pedestrians and cyclists. fuzzrr raises a question about location of cameras that's difficult to explain in road safety terms, so I've written to the N Wales Police Authority (they kindly provide a contact e-mail address on their website) to ask them to advise why they do this. To encourage a reply, I copied my request to my MP as well. I may just make a difference. If/when I get a response, I'll post it here.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Link please

OI! MCN, can you please provide a like to the data? Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

IF THIS INCLUDES

All other road users and pedestrians then why are they targetting bikes.Who are the most at risk and who at the end of any survey, if any, are causing the deaths and accidents?.So it seems to me that spending all this money on cameras and speed traps has not yet saved a life if the figures are true and they have doubled.I dont know but could it have something to do with the very wet summer and people crashing or running into the road with hoods up not seeing on coming traffic in the wet conditions.What ever it is it does seem like a waste of money if it isnt doing its job.Maybe the money would be better spent on further education and i dont mean leaflets or posters or stupid adverts on the tv. I mean if people are dying on the road because they can't control a slide in the rain or wet.how about spending the camera money on skid pans and car control in adverse conditions.And the same with bikes, teach people how to brake and manouvere in the wet and how to try and avoid target fixation and a lot of other things to improve bike and car handling.There are so many other more positive and constructive things the minstry of transport could be doing with this camera money that would save lives.Because if they are not saving lives then they just seem pointless and no wonder people just see them as a revenue spinner.I do think they have a place like in towns and at renowned black spots.But it does seem to me, not to be the case as i have known places on the road were i would see glass and debris day after day and known to me as a black spot and there would be and still is no camera.This info must be easy for any local authority to obtain through both the police and insurance companies. Speaking of which i would have thought the insurance companies would be right into that to try and cut down on accident claims. All in all the camers are not doing what they were supposed to so its time for a rethink. P.S. i have heard the argument ''oh'' yes but if it saves just one life it worth it.Ithink thats not a very good argument as the money could be spent on something that saves many lives

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Speeding, etc

kcmc makes a very powerful case. I've not heard yet from NWPA and, based on the contents of this website: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/nwpa.html I don't think I will be doing any time soon.

Reply to this Topic
mac'o'bolton

Mar 08

mac'o'bolton says:

Brunstrom - job description

Will somebody unfortunate enough to know this guy personally explain to him that he doesn't have to be frightened of bikers and their bikes! Rather than pandering to his fear regarding his unhealthy negative pre-occupation with motorcyclists and what seems to be a growing inferiority complex, maybe he could concentrate on his duties as Chief Constable and direct his officers towards criminals and not motorcyclists. I am going to immerse my head in a cushion and vent by shouting... COCK!!!

Reply to this Topic
RacingSloth

Jul 05

RacingSloth says:

Statistics link

The statistics reported in this item are here: http://www.north-wales.police.uk/nwp/freedom/foiNews/articlefiles/34-August%202008%20Management%20Information%20Bulletin.pdf

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

That explains a few things

Well at least it explains why he introduced all those measures during the spring summer, they must get an indication of what the results will show then start ill thought out crack downs. That is the problem that target orientated gov policy. Just short-term fanatical measures before long term common sense. Now we will get to EU thought-up measures.

Reply to this Topic
busabandit90

Mar 08

busabandit90 says:

PROPER CRIME

I WENT TO NORTH WALES BY CAR AND IF YOU HAVE A SATNAV WITH CAMRAS LOADED IT DRIVES YOU DINLOW GIVING YOU WARNING EVERY 2 SECONDS OF CAMERAS OR MOBLIE CAMERS TO THE POINT I WOULD NOT GO BACK THERE AGAIN ... AND HE SHOULD READ HIS LOCAL PAPERS AND SEE WHAT THE LOCAL PEOPLE WANT HIM TO DO ABOUT THE PROPER CRIMES BECAUSE WHAT I SEE IS THAT IT BAD THERE SO GET A LIFE YOU MONKEY AND SORT OUT THE PROPER CRIME

Reply to this Topic
studownie

Sep 06

studownie says:

cameras

Like all of you I detest speed cameras but, and it is a big but, it is the law and we are stuck with them until we can convince the 10% of nuts on the road who are a menace to slow down in hazardous situations. Then, and only then, can we try and get cameras removed. But as they are a money spinner I would bet my life that they will never go away.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices