Skip to content

Discuss This BMW Reliability? A fallacy! Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > BMW Reliability? A fallacy!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

TDMANDY

Sep 08

TDMANDY says:

BMW Reliability? A fallacy!

Having read various recent articles over the reliability (or otherwise) of BMW's, I thought I would add my brief contribution. Having suffered the delights of BMW car ownership some years ago (poor service, poor build qulity, major reliability issues), for some strange reason I decided to forget all those memories and purchase an R1100SS from a BMW franchised dealer. 800...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (17 September 2008 15:40)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

TDMANDY

How relevant is this posting , something that happened to you in the late 1990's !!

Reply to this Topic
TDMANDY

Sep 08

TDMANDY says:

TrumpetTriple

My posting is very relevant, given that it happened in 2004. Not the 1990'S as you have wrongly assumed. Subsequently I have spoken to many other BMW owners (most of whom are ex-BMW owners now!!) who have all had similar problems - either in the late 1990's or bang up to date. One friend of mine had a new R1200GS. Heavily pampered, it gave him nothing but trouble - gearbox, engine, suspension. And yes, he had exactly the same problems with BMW service as I had. And that was last year. It makes no difference when it was - BMW's have always been over-rated, over-priced and fragile to say the least. But I suppose as long as they continue to sell their products (bikes and cars) by the shed-load to an unsuspecting and gullible public then their indifference to customer service and quality of product will never improve.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

R1200GS

Personally I just LOVE the 1200gs. But I used to love the 1100gs when that came out, which was LOOOOOONG before Ewan & Charlie made them famous. MAybe one day I'll be able to afford one.

Reply to this Topic
tl1000kid

Aug 02

tl1000kid says:

R1200GS

BMW R1200GS - best bike I've had in thirteen years of riding. Best dealer service I've ever had.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

TDMANDY

I stand corrected reference timescale , however looking at it from another viewpoint 3 people have posted on here since that article appeared in MCN. From the 1,000's of BMW bikes sold every year it is only a tiny percentage of people with a problem , they sell a lot of cars so again i'd suggest your experience was in a very tiny minority. I've got a Triumph( obviously ) and this is my 5th of the Hinkley triples since 1994, my first and 4th one had plenty of issues with reliability , the others were great , these things happen , Triumph are marketed as a quality machine as well. The japanese machines are not immune to it either , it's just keeping it in context...

Reply to this Topic
thedukeofhunslet

Nov 07

I bought two

The reliability issues noted have been about recent bikes. You bought an R1100S ? When was this? Before the boar war or after the battle of hastings? They stopped development in 2002!!! I am the proud owner of an R1200S and an R1200GS. Love em. So much easier to ride fast then my R1 was. Quality is better. Fairing panels are all stainless screws. Manufacturers don't like using stainless on engines as the metal grading doesn't allow them the ability to specify the exact tensile strength needed for the application. R1200GS heavey??? fully fuelled with 33 litres my adventure is lighter then my old XJR1300 was dry! Some people expect too much of a bike if you ask me! Did you want the R1200GS to be as light as an R6 or something???

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

BMW

TDMANDY, 4 people have replied to the comments in your report, not including myself. 3 of them have provided positive feedback on BMW bikes. 3 out of 4 aint bad is it ? ALL manufacturers will suffer criticism at some point. I just think you were very lucky to have the opportunity to vent your opinion on a website like MCN, which has many viewers. I have owned BWM cars over the years, all 3 series, and the build and ride quality are superb. I have a couple of friends who own the F650 range of BMW bikes, and neither report any problems, infact quite the opposite, especially fuel economy. Will you use MCN when your next vehicle lets you down, whether that be Yamaha / Kawa / Suzuki etc ??

Reply to this Topic
hirsty2

Sep 07

hirsty2 says:

Bike issues, or rider?

A very odd set of comments indeed Mr Mandy, and an isolated case based on most that I've read. I've had two pre-registered BMW dealer supplied bikes back to back & am unlikely to go elsewhere for my next one. Dealer service from Bahnstomer, Vines & Dalkeith has been impeccable. I think you have some wider issues than just the bike/dealer.

Reply to this Topic
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

What do you pay for?

I have 2 BMW riding friends. One has an ancient K100 and the other an R1150GS Adventure. Both love their bikes but neither are very happy with the local BMW dealer after multiple cockups and lies. Now cockups can happen anywhere, but lies are going to kill your business pretty fast. One now goes to another BMW dealer and the other has a local ex-BMW mechanic do his. With BMW you are paying a premium over most other brands (certainly over the Japanese equivalents) and so you should get BMW backed and ENFORCED quality at the dealers. Personally, I think if you want to pay for a badge (be it HD or BMW or whatever) you go for it, but if you get let down, by all means let others know about it. Personally I prefer Kawasaki's and my local dealer John E. Vines of Rayleigh is excellent. The bike is pretty damned good too (1400GTR).

Reply to this Topic
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

BMW own up!!

I think all the people who have refused to believe that BMW have quality issues should read the other threads, BMW themselves have admitted to various quality problems due to the success of the GS range, they have openly admitted that in order to satify the orders from dealers they are shoving the bikes out the door. BMW charge considerably more for their product than their rivals, based on the premis that their product is of a higher quality. For a company to knowingly send a product out the door with known quality issues is simply taking its customer base for granted.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices