Skip to content

Ask an Expert R6 or Fireblade? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > R6 or Fireblade?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rob11circuitjunky

Sep 08

R6 or Fireblade?

Hi all,

I got my license for almost 2 years now, and drive a Suzuki SV650s. Next season I was thinking to buy a 4-cilinder racer. My budget is around 4.000 Pounds and I was looking for a Yamaha R6 (2000 model).

But some friends of mine said that I could better buy an 1000cc bike instead of an 600cc. Because it has more torque, therefore I wouldn’t have to buy a new bike in two years and I could easily ride the 1000cc for the next 5 years, without getting bored.

I’m not sure if I should go for the R6 or a more heavy bike like an 900cc Fireblade (1999 model).

Any advise anyone?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (02 October 2008 14:52)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

The 600 supersport bikes are plenty fast for a relative newbie.....and in good hands keeping up with thous in the twistys isnt a problem.........They will also teach you better cornering skills............

If you wait until next year to buy, your budget wll get your far more than a 2000, or a 1999 bike......

In fact with £4000 - £4500 next year you could probably be looking at an '05 CBR 600..........which over the R6 I would advise as a better bike......

I've been riding for over 8 years now, and have had three CBR 600's and currently ride a GSXR 750.  I've ridden all the thous, and to be honest on the road they are somewhat a waste...........the 600's and 750's give the rider a far more rewarding ride when you get a strut on........

You could also look at a GSXR 750...........best of both worlds......and you would be looking at an '04 model next year atleast for the money you want to spend.......

Learn to ride a 600 or a 750 properly and you will never get bored, the corner speed will see to that....

Hope this helps..

Reply to this Topic
rob11circuitjunky

Sep 08

Thanks fuzzrr,

I've been looking for a CBR600RR, because they are the best allround 600cc bikes. In top speed and torque!

But in the Netherlands (where i´m from :winkie:) a CBR600RR starts at 5.000 pounds. That's too much for me now as a simple college student :smile.

For a 600 my options are an old GSX-R Srad (1998) or a R6 (if I find one for a good price)

But you're right about next year maybe then I can buy a newer model for the same price. :smile

Thanks again!

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

CBR's dont start at £5000...............Just one example in this country http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikesforsale/searchresults/detail/?R=NXGN-7513087&mfy=

You may want to think about taking a trip over here to buy one if they are so expensive where you are.......

Reply to this Topic
bandit fighter

Nov 07

choices

it really depends what you want to use it for and you own personal choice,size weight etc,but i.m.o opinion the r6 is more track focused than the blade,but the blade is more versatile for everyday use,both are shit loads of fun:laugh:,but just find a few you like get test rides from dealers and don't rush in as both bikes are readily available so don't pay over the odds for one,becuase  one as good if not better will comw along soon:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
rob11circuitjunky

Sep 08

CBR600RR

Hello Fuzzrr,

Your right that CBR you showd me looked verry good and the price was reasonable!
Maybe a trip to the U.K. isn't such a bad idea!

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
rob11circuitjunky

Sep 08

trackdays and road trips

Thanks Bandit Fighter,

I want the use the bike for at least 4 or 5 trackdays a year and next to that for some trips to germany, where the roads are really great!

I'm not going to rush into purchase of a new bike, I've got plenty of time! I still have to wait till July 2009, before I'm allowd to ride a 'big' bike.

Thanks for your comment

Reply to this Topic
jjbell7

Sep 06

jjbell7 says:

R6 or Blade

Hi,

The Blade hands down, I have owned the 2000 and 2004 R6's and I now have a 2007 Blade.

I find there is far to much drama on a 600 for my liking, three off's and several nearly's, the Blade by comparison is so easy going but ballistic, people who say they are bland must wan't a date with death.

I don't know how would have got on with a 1000 had it been my first bike though, but no regrets and no looking back.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices