Skip to content

General I'm a Newbie, what bike should i get? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > I'm a Newbie, what bike should i get?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

arumblue

Oct 08

arumblue says:

I'm a Newbie, what bike should i get?

Hi everyone!

I have just passed my practical test last tuesday, and i am very chuffed:biggrin: about it. There isn't a day after my test that i don't think about bikes.

However, I am a bit stuck on what bike i should go for, now that i have passed. I currently own a ybr125, which feels like a bicycle after going on a gs5oo with the training school.

My mate keeps telling me to dive straight in the deep end and get myself a 600rr or equivalent. I don't trust his enthusiasm even though i love to get one eventually.

I am sticking to my instinct and opt for something less extreme, and so the following are what i might want: cbr600fs, sv650, hornet600, fz6 fazer and triumph speed4.

Please kindly advice me which one to go for.

Many thanks! 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (03 October 2008 01:21)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pistonhead

Aug 08

pistonhead says:

Newbie too

I'm a noobe too, passed in July of this year and bought a hornet at the start of September.

It's going in for it's 600 mile service now it's run in, it'll do 75 fine just using the 6000 revs while runing in and as a newbie the accleration is still more than quick enough.  The engine is a detune RR engine.  I've been told that once you get past the 6000 mark it really opens up.  I'd reccomend it as a good first bike.

As mentioned above, don't think it's a great idea to jump on something too powerful too early as the temptation is likely to get ya and lose it before you can ride it properly.  SImilar to passing your driving test and getting behind the wheel of something with 400 horses, your still learning after you've passed your test.

Good luck

Reply to this Topic
Dange_Bike

Jul 08

Dange_Bike says:

Ride 'em all!

I see nothing wrong with jumping straight on to a 600rr to be honest. I've only just passed my test a few months back and went straight to an R6. As long as you ride within your capabilities, there shouldn't be a problem. But my advice would be to test drive as many bikes as possible and you'll soon find the one...

Dange

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

arum

speed 4

Reply to this Topic
Poke

Aug 02

Poke says:

CONGRATULATIONS!

I agree with Steve G, Speed Four! I'd still have mine if only Triumph hadn't brought out the Street Triple :winkie:

Back when I was looking for S4, I had a test ride on the SVS650 and it just didn't suit me - I found it too slung forward so my weight was on my wrists and killed me. I test rode the Speed Four straight after and it's a bit more "sit up and beg" and I just fell in love with it, it's just so easy to ride.

So I'd say, before you buy anything, you need to try it. I wasn't taken with the V-twin (even though my old man raves about them!) and I've actually surprised myself at how much I love the triple, after having Fours for nearly 2-decades :smile

Check out the bike review here MCN Speed Four review

Reply to this Topic
skycat

Jul 05

skycat says:

Congrats

and welcome..... and congrats on keeping your head screwed on about your choices of bikes.

I first had a GPZ500 (not the best and not for long), then a 600 Thundercat which i found a great alrounder.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
zeddyboy

May 08

zeddyboy says:

welcome newbie

while my bike was in for a service i had a er6f loan bike and i can highly recommend it.if you don't mind the fact it's a twin it handles and goes very nicely,i got 120 out of it.good luck with your choice.  ps for your future longevity as a biker treat all other road users as complete arseholes. that taxi will pull out,that van will turn right with no indication and that car will brake hard as the lights turn amber.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

zeddyboy

and you might add that it's just had a makeover and can still be had for £99.00 deposit and 2 1/2 years interest free.Insurance group 10 and lots of miles to the tankful.

Reply to this Topic
arumblue

Oct 08

arumblue says:

Thank you Riders!

Thank you for posting everyone. There are a lot of good advice here.

I'm still not a 100% sure which bike to go for, but at least i know i will rule out anything too extreme.

I can see the bikes you guys recommended, all has their advantages. The dilemma at the moment is, i fancy all of them equally. I'm a bit of a slut when it comes to bikes lol.

I guess all i can do now is sit on all of them to see which one feels the best.

Cheers!!:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
OrientalSteve

Nov 07

aprilia rs125!!!

sports bike riding position, sports bike handling, actually out handle most sports bike, quite nippy, yet not fast enough to run into too much trouble

oh and they are very fun

Reply to this Topic
andy_m

Apr 07

andy_m says:

lol

a 125 when he passed his test? Jog on Steve!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices