Skip to content

Discuss This Stitched up for speeding Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Stitched up for speeding

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AARRGGH1

Jun 08

AARRGGH1 says:

Stitched up for speeding

I took my mates 12 yr old kid out for a ride on my bike round the Sherburn area (Squires bar) the other night. I was riding along the old A1 (which is now the A63) when a marked police car that was parked up in the layby pulled me over and told me I had gone through a speed trap travelling at 101,5...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (09 July 2008 14:13)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Stitched

Well, it seems to me that it does not matter if you're on the bike or not, you're still going to get done, so much for honesty from the police!
My advice to anyone who feels they're getting ' done over ' by the police is.... Request to be arrested, you have the right to be taken in to an interview by the police, that way all their lies will be on tape. Or do as I do now, I always carry a Dictaphone on me when I'm on or near my bike. it shouldn't have to come to this !

Reply to this Topic
luke 7R

Jan 08

luke 7R says:

Judges

It's not speeding but i've done over in court. I got T boned by a drunk driver although she was under the limit by the time she got to the station. I was advised by the copper to take her to court. and when I did, I was treated like I was the criminal and she got off scott free. I had to leave the court before I flipped out. Don't know why they hate us all?

Reply to this Topic
gixxer3quarter

May 08

Appeal

I would suggest that you get you solicitor to issue an appeal as soon a possible think you have 14 days to do so. also by law the cps would have to provide you with any evidence on which they wish to rely on on court at least 14 days before the hearing. The fact that one copper says you where doing that speed is not good enough. I really do stress that you get an appeal lodged as soon as possible and maybe get a better solicitor because if they didnt argue all them points the i personal feel they are pretty useless. once you have won your appeal lodge a complaint with the police complaits comission and also with the office of judicial complaints.

Reply to this Topic
nobodysdriving

Feb 08

animalzilla

are you 'allowed' to use the dictaphone when talking to the police if they stop you? sorry if this is a stupid question, when I say 'allowed' I mean 'legally' even though from all these stories on here it sounds like the police are being 'illegal' in many ways!

These stories have scared me and they're going to be on mind every minute I ride from now on :shock::ph43r:  about the 'option' of 'being arrested', I might just use that idea if this ever happens to me.
sorry to hear all the bad stories and thank you for sharing them

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

What a...

Truly good read this all is.

I thought I was the 'only' one who felt that he had been victimised.

There's another angle on all of this. My most recent charge was for speeding at 100mph on the M8 in Glasgow. Clocked using a calibrated speedometer over exactly 0.2 miles... Erm... All a coincidence???

Anyways... The Police who WITNESSED the offence charged me with speeding. The procurator fiscal has decided a charge of Dangerous Driving is far more fitting. He wasn't even THERE!!!

Where's the justice in all of this?

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Speeding, etc

Eyup, yellowninja - you sound as if you were disappointed that they didn't spot that you were actually doing an indicated 180. 
Now that would be Dangerous Driving! :shock:

Reply to this Topic
martyn242

Aug 08

martyn242 says:

speeding

I was done for doing 37mph in a 30 zone, which i was doing, however i was doing it because a truck had just pulled out on me and i had to speed up to avoid it. I couldn't have slowed down as i had a car up my ar*se. It turned out the truck was done for dangerous driving and i was fined regrdless of circumstance. Another case of anti biker syndrome!

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

mmm...

It's only dangerous if there is a danger present... If the conditions are correct then 300mph could be perfectly safe. I can't recommend speeding to anyone and I certainly don't make a MASSIVE thing of it but me views are that the speed itself is NOT dangerous. The circumstances in which the speed is used creates the danger. Travelling at 25mph in a 30mph zone could very well be dangerous.

Dangerous is a very wide ranging term. It relies on peoples experiences and also their educational structure. Something I view as dangerous another person could view as safe and vice versa... If I believe that it is safe then I believe that it is safe and it won't matter what anyone else states.

Reply to this Topic
grmc

Aug 03

grmc says:

sympathies...

...are definitely with you on this one. I've never been done on the bike (although sod's law states that by the time some of you read this I will have been). I think I'm a bit too aware of my surroundings and although I leather it whenever I can (on national limit roads only) I haven't even come close to being clocked. The nearest I've come in the past five years was in Stafford, but in the car. About three years ago I got a rude letter from the "Life Savers On Duty" telling me that my car had been observed doing 40mph in a 30mph zone - cough the job, pay up now or you'll be in court and because you're OBVIOUSLY guilty you'll be fined £2000 etc, etc. Well, it was a porsche I had at the time and although I enjoyed thrashing it about where conditions permitted, I would never do so in such a restricted zone. Furthermore, I had a top of the line radar detector fitted which was "always on" and to be honest was bleeping annoying going through town as it was always picking up signals from every which-way, which makes you CONSTANTLY aware of your speed, so I just knew I couldn't possibly have gone over the limit. So, I responded in the way I would advise ANYONE to respond. Tell them you're not convinced they've got their facts right, ask to see the proof, and in my case, also ask that if I was such a danger as to warrant sending me threatening letters, then why was nothing done at the time to stop my (or whoever was driving my car, or a car similar to mine with a similar registration) 'reckless' behaviour. If they can't be bothered dealing with offences at the time they happen, then why should I be expected to take them seriously weeks later? So, I was duly sent two photograps, somewhat blurred, with almost meaningless figures on them. Yes, that was the evidence. The back of a Porsche 250m away, then about 350m away with a big "-40MPH" in the top right of the picture. You couldn't even tell if anyone was in the car, let alone identify them. Immediately, something didn't seem right. There was also a time-stamp on the photos, but in whole seconds and not hundredths, which is what you'd kind of expect when making time/distance calculations, but it was as wooly as that. I went to the spot where my car was photographed, and I measured that road from the point my back tyre was at on the first photo to the point on the second one. Then, I worked out how fast I needed to be travelling to get from A to B in the span of time shown by the times on the photos. It took me about a minute to calculate that my speed was between 18 and 24 MPH (given the margin the times could have been). The distance was so short that even if I'd floored the car, I probably couldn't have exceeded 30MPH in the space. What I did notice was this; My car was perfectly framed between the legs of a large road sign showing the up-coming roundabout for the M6. It dawned on me that the useless t**t operating the laser had been tracking the back of the car and the beam had passed over the static leg of the sign as they desperately followed me around the curve of the road, most probably in some kind of jealous fever thinking "You'll boot it sooner or later and I'll get you smug Porsche driver". Unfortunately, in their zeal to get me, they didn't think about all the external factors. What had happened is that the laser gun had thought my car had leapt the 50m or so from the leg of the sign to where it again found the rear of my car, calculating the speed to travel the distance was 40mph. Of course, I took great delight in pointing all this out to the office monkey who was sending me the "YOU ARE GUILTY - Pay up or be fined" love letters at the rate of about one every five days and all I got in return was a single sentence reply: "We will look into the matter and advise you of the outcome". I've never heard from them again. My advice to EVERYONE, no matter how obvious the circumstances are, is to CHALLENGE everything that is put to you.

Reply to this Topic
grmc

Aug 03

grmc says:

more...

...my previous post had all the paragraphs reformatted and this bit chopped off the end (so read this bit after the post below!): My advice to EVERYONE, no matter how obvious the circumstances are, is to CHALLENGE everything that is put to you. Even a single speeding fine costs you dearly. Not only the fine, but also the increase in your motor premiums for the five years duration that the insurance companies gleefully inflate them. In these days where all they have to do is send you a letter with the mildest suggestion that you were speeding, most people are too busy to even think if they were on the road anyway, let alone begin to establish the truth for themselves. Mr Average will just pay up, and they KNOW this. If EVERYONE exercised their right to a trial, the court system would grind to a halt and we'd soon see if road safety was the priority when it started costing them more to process these frivolous and often erroneous prosecutions than they got from the easy fines they do, not to mention their ongoing slice of the insurance premium pie in the form of increased profit tax and of course, their racketeering IPT.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices