Skip to content

Ask an Expert Beware of scammers Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Beware of scammers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Sean-Paul Bradley  says:

Beware of scammers

I received this scam email in offer for my bike advertised on MCN... This is Jason, I saw your bike advert placed on net and i will like to make the purchase from you, please if it is still available kindly tell me because i am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 October 2008 16:09)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nicklojik@aol.com

Sep 08

Scammers

I can't agree more, I had the same email from this "jason" chap. He calls himself Jajasparrow on his yahoo address. He actually sent me a cheque but when I checked it out with the company named on it, they confirmed it was from a stolen cheque book. Needless to say a copy of the cheque and his email details have been passed to the police.

Also note that another chap by the name of Roland More, again useing a yahoo email address is up to the same scam.

Good luck selling the bike.

Reply to this Topic
kurfy

Nov 08

kurfy says:

scammers

I have had the same thing this weekend.the guy is calling himself David Cole. Glad i saw this  item before i took it further.

Reply to this Topic
Xenophon

Nov 08

Xenophon says:

Jason

Is still operating and using the jajasparrow yahoo address. I got an e-mail worded exactly like the one above within minutes of my advert going on the website today.

Reply to this Topic
allancoles

Nov 08

allancoles says:

scam

i had exactly the same e mail, i thought it looked dodgy because of the wording and the fact that it was only yesterday that i put the advert in. It sounds like some foreigner to me. I mailed back with the details then i put jaja sparrow in search and it came up with this info, so i have mailed again telling them not to bother getting back to me, thanks guys.

al

Reply to this Topic
Dazadorph

Dec 08

Dazadorph says:

Scammers

I just recieved the same message.

I put my add on line two days ago.

The name has changed to Dave cole and visiting Australia and then to hong kong for work trip.

Email this time is davexcome@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks guys for the heads up.

Wants to ship the bike some where but does not say and he has to send two checks one to myself and the other to the company who will ship the bike.

The emailer wants me to organise all of this and after checking this forum I know now its a scammer, thank you all for the heads up.

I will reply to the email and decline their offer.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
torchiesshirt

Oct 08

Scammers

Hi

below is an email I received back at the beginning of December, he paid by cheque, then 1 day before the cheque was due to clear he insisted I pay the shipping costs of £3400 as the cheque was clearing next day, needless to say I didnt pay it and yes the cheque was fraudulent

Be careful people, if it seems to good to be true it probably is

Carl

ps GSXR750 still available:winkie:

000This is Kelvin, i saw your bike advert placed on net and i will like to make the purchase from you, please if it is still available kindly tell me because i am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is graduation so I hope it is presentable. i will like you to get back to me with the current condition, your stated selling price, your phone number where i can contact you and lastly i will like you to know that payment will be through a cheque. Best Regards

Reply to this Topic
torchiesshirt

Oct 08

Scammers

Another scam me thinks, certainly wasnt gonna give him the info, and why would he want pics when theres loads of them on MCN with the advert???

I have replied to him stating cash sale only when he comes to look at the bike, needless to say he hasnt replied

Bike still not sold:upset:

"Hello, My Name is ***** ****. I am interested in your advert for the sale and i would like to ask some details concerning it before proceeding with the payment. Since you are private seller, you should be able to clarified this few question for me so that i will be able to determine the condition of the Item. 1. How long have you owned it? 2. Have you owned it from new? If not how many previous owner? 3. Why are you selling it? 4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it? 5... Any available photo? 6.. Last Price? Preferred method of payment is United Kingdom Bank Draft cheque ?? which would CLEAR in your bank account within 1 to 2 working days , don''t bother about the shipment the shipping cost will be my own responsibility. You can call me on this number's 070240***** or 070240***** Urgent response is needed for procedure of payment I''ll be expecting your mail soonest.Send pics if also available.i would be very glad if you can get it sold to me. Kindly email me back, if it's still for sale"

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
daytonadave955

Jul 08

jajasparrow

This bloke must buy an awful lot of graduation presents for his son! He's just offered to buy my ZX12!! Is there anything that can be done about scamming tossers like this? Could MCN do anything as I've payed me cash for an advert and all I've had so far is two attempted scams and a load of agencies.Can't we E-kneecap 'em somehow?

Reply to this Topic
ginger 72

May 08

ginger 72 says:

scams

had exactly the same email from jason asking for details of the bike which were already in the advert. i just deleted the email, and have done the same to several others. Perhaps next one i should pass on to the police.

Reply to this Topic
scheung

Apr 05

scheung says:

Scam from 'Kelvin'

I am currently selling my bike now and yep got the same email above. I replied to his message thinking he was legit and he replied with this:

Thanks for your response I will like to inform you that I do appreciate your response and interest in transacting with me,I will like to inform you that I will be purchasing the bike from you with the price that you have given (£3500) but unluckily for me I can't come for the view because I have traveled to Australia on vacation with my wife who is based here and my son who schools here and I will also be traveling to Hong Kong on a business trip afterward, but nevertheless I will like to inform you that with the information that you have provided to me and the one that I have seen on the advertisement that the Bike is in Good condition is okay to keep me assured that my son will not be disappointed about the Bike.

I will want you to know that the payment that will be sent to you will include the shipping cost because it will be issued by my Creditor so once the cheque has cleared in your account you will then assist me to send the remaining balance on the cheque via western union money transfer to the shipping company that will come for the pick up shipment of the bike and also they will be the one that will assist me to sign the paper work,title transfer and all other necessary document that is needed to be signed for.So once you have accepted to do this for me I will want you to mail me with the name to write on the cheque and also the address to send it to so I can instruct my creditor to issue and send the cheque to you immediately,I will be expecting.

Regards
Kelvin

P.S sorry I can't give you a call at the moment as the network here is incredibly bad but as soon as i get a good reception, i will give you a call.

His email address is brookypwd@yahoo.co.uk.

DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY...IT IS A SCAM!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle