Skip to content

Ask an Expert Beware of scammers Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Beware of scammers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Sean-Paul Bradley  says:

Beware of scammers

I received this scam email in offer for my bike advertised on MCN... This is Jason, I saw your bike advert placed on net and i will like to make the purchase from you, please if it is still available kindly tell me because i am interested in the purchase for my Son, it will be a gift for is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 October 2008 16:09)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
campexed

Aug 03

campexed says:

Re: Scammers - David Cole

I received an instant message within 12 hoursof placing the aadvert on the MCN website.  This was from the same e-mail address using the name davexcome (David Cole)

It's a good job I just typed his e-mail address in to google search as it directed me straight to this page.

HIS MESSAGE:

Hello ?????,

Thank you for the quick response and interest in transacting with me. I would like to say I am happy with the condition of the bike and am sure my son would fall in love with it as he has always wanted a bike of his own after spending his last summer vacation with my cousin in America who is a biker.

I am okay with the asking price of £6500 and I am ready to issue the payment to you so we can conclude this transaction and get the bike ready before his graduation day. I am in Singapore on a business trip at the moment and would be going to Dubai afterward so I would instruct one of my creditors to issue and send the payment to you. The payment my creditor would be issuing to you will be the payment he owes me form past transaction and it would be over the cost of the bike and he has accepted to do me the favor of issuing it to you as he is only willing to issue the whole payment in one cheque so you would be forwarding the excess funds on the payment to my personal shipper because the bike would be shipped to my wife's family house in Australia.

I would like you to give me the name to write on the cheque and also the address to send the cheque to as an agreement to the transaction so the payment could be issued and sent to you asap. Thanks for your understanding and favor.

Best Regards,

Dave

Reply to this Topic
Toc7

Oct 10

Toc7 says:

davexcome@yahoo.co.uk

Yea I have also received an email from this guy... David Cole. I notice all these posts are from 2 years ago so I guess this guy has another son who is graduating 2 years after his first one... :lol:

Here's the reply to my ad:

Thank you for the quick response and interest in transacting with me. I would like to say I am happy with the condition of the bike and am sure my son would fall in love with it as he has always wanted a bike of his own after spending his last summer vacation with my cousin in America who is a biker.

I am okay with the asking price and I am ready to issue the payment to you so we can conclude this transaction and get the bike ready before his graduation day. I am in Singapore on a business trip at the moment and would be going to Dubai afterward so I would instruct one of my creditors to issue and send the payment to you. The payment my creditor would be issuing to you will be the payment he owes me form past transaction and it would be over the cost of the bike and he has accepted to do me the favor of issuing it to you as he is only willing to issue the whole payment in one cheque so you would be forwarding the excess funds on the payment to my personal shipper because the bike would be shipped to my wife's family house in Australia.

I would like you to give me the name to write on the cheque and also the address to send the cheque to as an agreement to the transaction so the payment could be issued and sent to you asap. Thanks for your understanding and favor.

Reply to this Topic
StamfordBoy

Oct 10

StamfordBoy says:

possible new scammer

Hi I've just received an email from Theo Faye in France who is interested in my K1200GT. His email sounds very similar to the other scams that have been reported in the forum - very interested, present for son, I'll pay more but please pay shiping costs etc.

I'd love to sell my bike to someone who actualy wants it and will enjoy it, not someone trying to fleece me.

PS Dear moderator please dont delete the name of the possible scammer I think its important that we know these people are out there and thanks to the MCN forum I've found some information on them. If it turns out to be genuine I'll let you know.

Reply to this Topic
Mortis86

Oct 12

Mortis86 says:

scams - Mack Mike

Howdy folks

I've just had a similar experience with someone going by the name of "Mack Mike" which, tbh, is a bit on the pathetic side really.

The e-mail that I've received:
--------------------------
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming the available of the Bike for sale.

Am okay with your Final asking Price as Stated and want to go ahead with the purchase of Bike.A Cheque or Banker Draft shall be issue to you for the payment of the Bike in your name payable to you immediately and i will arrange pick up after the Cheque or Banker Draft is Fully Cleared by your Bank.

You don't have to worry yourself about the shipment, My Private Transporter will take Bikee of shipping and pick up as soon as you confirm the payment is Cleared by your Bank.Will also want to know if there is any other miscellaneous payment like,the tax charges, etc that will be added to it.

The Transportation cost and General maintenance cost will be added to the Total amount that will be issued on your Behalf and it will be used By My shipper who will be coming for the Pick Up at your location after your bank confirms cash available for use.

Please Re confirm Once again the Following

Millage
Reason for Selling

My Private Shipper will take of all Necessary documentation and Registration that need to be done will be taken Bikee by My Shipper and Please Note that the Bike will be shipped to Barcelona it will be Use by My Daughter who is schooling over there in University .I have already forward some Details of the Bike i found on the advert to Her already and She is fun of the Bike already.i intend to give the Bike a new look and which i will forward the pics to you after General Maintenance have been done on it....it will be Fully Pimp and the Color will be Change.

I want you to get back to me with all the necessary information listed below in order to make out the Cheque or Banker Draft

Name to Be Written on The Banker Draft ,Address To Send the Cheque or Banker Draft To and Your Phone Numbers.

Please rest assured that the Banker Draft will get to you within next couple of working days. Awaiting for your swift response and your payment Information

I will expect your reply as soon as possible. That will enable me to issue the payment immediately.

Regards,
Mack
-------------------------------

The idea that someone would give the flat out asking price with no quibble, without seeing the bike, to be sent to Barcelona at great cost is just a tad too weird.

Hope this helps anyone
Also this was from a ymail.com account which i'm assuming is Yahoo these days

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices