Skip to content

Products Britain’s bikers snub SHARP ratings Helmets

You are in... Forums > Products > Helmets > Britain’s bikers snub SHARP ratings

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Colin Overland  says:

Britain’s bikers snub SHARP ratings

The three top-rated helmets in Britain’s biggest biking survey are all lids that haven’t yet been tested under the government’s controversial SHARP rating scheme. The Schuberth R1 topped the RiDER Power 2008 poll with an 86.07 satisfaction rating, followed by the Schuberth S1 and the BMW SportIntegral. Fourth place, however, went to the Shark RSR-2, which scored five out of five...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (16 October 2008 11:27)

Post a message in Helmets

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

Stavros7

Stavros7, Im all for "choice", I agree that buying a helmet wether it is a top brand name or not is all down to personel choice & in some cases personel budgets. The point I was making is that wether we agree with the SHARPS method of testing or not, the fact remains that some of the lesser known cheaper  brands performed equally as good if not better than the more expensive brands, personally when i pay a premium for a product (any product) I expect that product to outperform the cheaper alternative in every respect, in the case of the SHARPS tests, the results clearly show that premium helmet brands are no better than cheaper brands when subjected to the same test criteria. I really dont have a problem with people spending their own hard earned cash on the helmet brand of their choice, but regarding helmets I do take issue with the old adage that "you get what you pay for" in regards to saftey, any time MCN & other bike publications do a feature on new rider tips, they always state "buy the most expensive helmet you can afford" what they are impling is that expensive means safer. I do not belive this to be the case.

Reply to this Topic
Stavros7

Oct 04

Stavros7 says:

Fair point Jon

Fair point Jon - and I guess this is the whole reason for testing and ratings being introduced in the first place - allowing us all to make an informed choice. Let's hope the SHARP testing does not result in manufacturers' concentrating their efforts on areas of a helmet that they know will be tested purely to gain top ratings alone. Am still to be convinced by SHARP testing procedures though. :o)

Reply to this Topic
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

SNELL Testing

I may be wrong, but Im sure I read somewhere that the American helmet testing system SNELL is considered to be more realistic in its testing criteria in respect to actual crash data? If this is the case then why cant SHARPS adopt the SNELL system? I think the need for a saftey rating system is definatley the way forward, that way we can make an informed choice when choicing our lids.

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

So Sharp would have us believe that they know better than the top manufacturers who spend a fortune on R&D. Manufacturers that provide equipment to race riders have much more "real world" data than the theoretical Sharp test. Arai claim that the helmet top race riders use is the same as the one you can buy over the counter. I'm sure they would have been sued by now if it was a false claim. I have heard from people using a cheaper helmet that air vents flew off while they were riding. More worryingly, 2 people reported the visor flying off at speed. Not very safe at all, it's no good having a helmet that protects you if it was the helmet that caused the accident in the first place. Build quality is important!

Reply to this Topic
Billy_rfc

Jan 08

Billy_rfc says:

Where is Arai?

I think its a bit premature for anyone to be saying that the Sharp tests are not having an effect on helmet sales. I would say that the following year or two will be the real test but the survey results have turned up something interesting, where are the big two, Arai and Shoei? Sharp dismissed the perception of high price high safety. I thought high price means high quality? Seems not!

Reply to this Topic
Coop_46

Jun 07

Coop_46 says:

i work in a well known motorcycle clothing shop and we always tell people that ask that SHAP testings mean nothing. The safety aspect of a helmet is how it fits.If a £60 lazer helmet fits you better then a £400 Arai Viper GT, the lazer is the safest helmet for you.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle