Skip to content

Discuss This New Norton boss speaks exclusively to MCN New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Norton boss speaks exclusively to MCN

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

New Norton boss speaks exclusively to MCN

New Norton owner Stuart Garner has spoken for the first time about his ambitious plans for the historic name that is now back in British hands for the first time in many years. Garner, 39, has spent millions of pounds getting the sole rights to the Norton brand for racing, road bikes and all rights to the name with plans for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (16 October 2008 13:49)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Robbo523

Mar 06

Robbo523 says:

Great news ......

...... if it comes off. It all sounds very positive and hopefully isn't another false dawn in the resurrection of Norton.

Good luck to Stuart Garner and all at Norton. Get the bikes right and you won't be able to make 'em fast enough. I for one look forward to buying my first new Norton!

Reply to this Topic
Tony Tunstall

Jun 07

Norton Comeback

What great news to hear that Norton are going to re-appear in 2009, I've a Triumph Tbird so real retro gives me so much pleasure, providing they make them with electric starts, arthritis and knee joint relacement problems mean that I can't kick start but if they resurect the marque in the fashion of the Phoenix TRIUMPH brand then what a triumph it will be. I can tell you what I want for Christmas 2009

Reply to this Topic
netannoyance

Oct 08

netannoyance says:

Norton in the UK???

Ill believe it when i see it, in the previous article that was one of Norton Americas prototypes pictured so perhaps Kenny Dreers financiers might have sold out to this fellow in the UK, However i Spoke personally with Kenny Dreer at the NWNO annual end of season ride and BBQ a few weeks ago and im quite certain he made no mention of  this however he told everyone he still owns 30% of norton stock, even though he resigned, and if anyone wanted to buy his stock his quote was "Make me an offer, any kind of offer, just make me an offer!"

Plans are underway for a seminar at the Northwest Vintage car and Motorcycle museum for a November seminar with Mr Dreer to discuss the challenges of building a modern Motorcycle.  When Norton America shut down they were lacking $10 million to get production started and many estimates say that figure was light,,

like i said laddies,,,,Ill believe it when i see it.  As they say here in America, theres a lot of folks out there with Big hats and No cattle.

Reply to this Topic
ramparts

Nov 05

ramparts says:

Norton your nellie

Can`t see it really succeeding.  My memory of the Norton brand was absolutely murdering an 850 Commando on my Suzuki T500 (yes - I`m no longer a teenager).  If I remember rightly they vibrated so much girls were queuing up to sit on one.  They also leaked oil over the place and probably necessitated packing a comprehensive tool kit before daring to venture more than a couple of miles.

I wish them luck.  If they really can make a decent throbbing, reliable, non-leaking Commando 850 in dark blue, with an optional fly-screen and carrier, a 2-year full warranty and 60 miles per gallon I`d sell my Zip50 there and then.

Rog

Reply to this Topic
Duker999

Sep 08

Duker999 says:

New Norton

I hope it goes good for them.

Now we're in the 21st century, and have better manufacturing methods, the old problems will be a thing of the past.

I'm sure that if they get that rotary looking good and sporty and reliable, they will sell them no problem.

Now that bikes in general are selling well, I am sure that they could sell a bike as different in tech as the Rotary quite easily, providing it is well built, good looking and reliable and the right price !

I don't think the economy issue is going to deter sportbike riders, cause all they really want is power and performance.

If they built one that looked good to me, then I would definately have a look.

Hurry up !

Reply to this Topic
DavidHopkins

Aug 03

DavidHopkins says:

pics

I want that pic for my PC desktop ... been looking for ages over MCN website and through Google and can't find it. Anyone found one good enough for a 1280x800 screen yet???

Reply to this Topic
Gordon D. Smith

Apr 08

New Norton

This is great news!

I only hope they don't forget that not everybody wants a musclebike.

A 'revitalised' Interstate model would get my vote (and cash).

Reply to this Topic
Fastarse

Jun 05

Fastarse says:

At last...want one.

I've been trying to buy one of these for ages, couldn't get a reply from the yanks but I'm happy the design is now in british hands. A few mods such as rear a reflector, a chain guard, new headlamp etc and it should be ready to roll.

The last listed price for a basic Norton 961 was $11,000, that's about £6,900 at todays exchange rate, lets see if the public can get their hands on one for anywhere near that price. I doubt it, even though there will be no need to ship it from america and all the hard work has been done I don't think that a limited availability, hand built bike can be bought for anywhere near that figure, good luck guys.

The 961S was listed at $13,200 whiche equates to about £8,300.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle