You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > need advice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

robbie368

Nov 08

robbie368 says:

need advice

ive got my das in 4 weeks and planning to get a bike, money is not too much of a problem so i could buy new or second hand.i wanted a bike for getting to work some days as i travel all round south london and outskirts. i have reaslised that my reasons for buying (which i used to convince my wife,family and myself are not strictly true) the truth is im bored with my car and van i am so exited about riding a bike i can hardly sleep what shall i buy i cant wait, help the suspense is killing me.i have thought about the 600cc class more upright and also convinced the wife that she can jump on the back.also i need all the kit to go with it, if you havent guessed i have hit my mid 40s and the only bike i have ever ridden i a yamaha fsie 50cc 25yrs ago. since passing my car test i have not looked at a bike as i thought of the dangers but still remember the freedom of a bike anyway im open to as much advice as possible. the more bikes i see in the mags the more i want but i have realised i have to take it easy for a while im not the racing type as i wont take to greater risks but i do love to have power just in case i get the urge also my insde legg is 29" and im 5' 9 so i would like to reach the floor.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (02 November 2008 14:58)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robbie368

Nov 08

robbie368 says:

advice

right i had a bit of time today (couldnt sleep last night so got up and read bike mags) i went to a local bike shop (suzuki dealer) and the owner was very helpful explained that i was looking to buy and said to him that i was considering a 600 fazer, honda hornet, suzuki bandit, obviously he would lean towards the bandit an offered me a new bandit for £4200.00 + discount on all me gear. i must admit last night i was thinking 2nd hand honda but seeing a brand new bike in a showroom lights my bulbs! what do you think? this was before the latest replys so now im going to come back down to earth and digest what everyone has said. if me spelling is bad its because if been drinking wine with the wife:lol: (dont usaully drink wine but this was nice:blink:) oh well better go to the open evening for the kids.

Reply to this Topic
robbie368

Nov 08

robbie368 says:

need advice

right i had a bit of time today (couldnt sleep last night so got up and read bike mags) i went to a local bike shop (suzuki dealer) and the owner was very helpful explained that i was looking to buy and said to him that i was considering a 600 fazer, honda hornet, suzuki bandit, obviously he would lean towards the bandit an offered me a new bandit for £4200.00 + discount on all me gear. i must admit last night i was thinking 2nd hand honda but seeing a brand new bike in a showroom lights my bulbs! what do you think? this was before the latest replys so now im going to come back down to earth and digest what everyone has said. if me spelling is bad its because if been drinking wine with the wife:lol: (dont usaully drink wine but this was nice:blink:) oh well better go to the open evening for the kids.

Reply to this Topic
mrh3369

Jun 06

mrh3369 says:

HONDA VFR 800

it will do all that you need and then some.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Robbie

At the end of the day you need to get what you want.  I would warn you, though, that a bike loses a lot of value in the first 3 years.  Buy a 3 year old bike and you can sell it for not much loss.  You normally won't keep your first bike that long as you will grow out of it and go for something a bit more powerful and a bit more sexy.

Reply to this Topic
plainsimple

Oct 08

plainsimple says:

too much advice... is it really helping

Hey, Robbie!

To be honest you sound a bit too excited now... Cool down, man! Whatever you decide, keep it cool!

Focus on the DAS first and see what happens.

... I've always bought bikes from brand new simply because I love the feeling of having them all pristine and immaculate and running them in myself... On top of that I've never had any technical faults since they were still under warranty and kept a good sale price within 2 years!  

This is a very personal choice though and involves a lot of factors, i.e. expectations, technical skills, riding experience, insurance, financial capacity etc etc etc

Good luck whatever you decide and let us know how you are getting on!!:smile

Reply to this Topic
dizzydriver

Nov 08

dizzydriver says:

VFR 800

i recently passed DAS, im 43 and hadnt ridden for over 20 years. it a bit scary but once its done oh wot fun im having. as for the bike i chose the VFR 800 its a good alrounder, good for commute but is lively when i want some fun. on the safety side and being a newbie i liked the idea of abs brakes, also the honda is built to last and hold price well, the insurance was no dearer than a 600rr.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices