Skip to content

Discuss This Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Consider banning motorcycles, police tell MPs

The time has come to consider banning motorcycles from the roads, police chiefs have told MPs. They are ‘motorised toys’ which may not belong on public highways, the Association of Chief Police Officers told the Commons Transport Committee. The association based its call on the false claim that production motorcycles are ‘readily available’ with top speeds of over 200mph. In...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 November 2008 15:48)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shazhome

Aug 02

shazhome says:

Big Brother,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This report should be considered as victimisation toward bikers, at some stage in the future all vehicles will become taged wether we like it or not, this means that the government can automaticaly issue fines, etc, without plod having to get off his arse allowing him to do more important things like make tea and contribute his comments to the daily crossword back at the station.

If bikes are going to be chipped , engine sizes and speed resticted then this must apply to all modes of transport ,a speeding car driver is far more dangerous than a speeding biker!

Now is the the time to join force in numbers and join action groups like MAG or other powerfull institutions to protect our future, the amount of bikers in the UK are at  record levels and growing every day, this equals a large amount of votes that no government will want to loose.

We must also loose our "them and us "attitude toward car drivers, after all most of us are car drivers as well as bikers. WE MUST ALL STAND TOGETHER STRONG IN NUMBERS AND GET THE MESSAGE BACK TO BROWN AND HIS CRONNIES " TAKE OUR FREEDOM AND WE WILL TAKE YOUR VOTES"!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
daveball

Apr 04

daveball says:

Read and think!

It seems that a lot of people can not even read let alone comment - This is ACPO (Association of cheif police officers) reporting to a cross party committee.

Nothing to do with the government. Why is it that people immediately blame the government even when there is no mention of them. I know they are to blame for a lot, but I cannot even imagine how bad things would be under the even more self serving Conservatives. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember Thatcher!

Reply to this Topic
CaptainSmurf

Oct 08

CaptainSmurf says:

Don't be an Ostrich

If this report is correct, and I have no reason to suppose it isn't, then a head in the sand attitude will ensure we lose. Likewise if we end up squabbling amonst ourselves. I've never had a bike of more than 100BHP, but I helped fight the good fight a few years ago when Herr Bangemann was trying to get an EU ban on high powered bikes.

We might even have to get other threatened minorities on side - we are not the only people targeted by the legal extremists.

"In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

So said Pastor Martin Niemöller.

Just because ACPO would have a hard time convincing Parliament that their position is right doesn't mean we can afford to ignore them.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

From the report itself

Cheers Faz!  I couldn't find that for looking last night.

"Rider improvement schemes such as BikeSafe are shown to be successful and should be statutorily incorporated."

Good.

"This includes Vehicle Excise Duty evasion on a massive scale."

False, and known to be false.  They should retract this.

"the creation of protection zones where all motorcycles other than those specifically permitted, would be prohibited."

Missed the point there, most accidents involving otehr vehciles happen at junctions and are not the fault of the biker.

"Production machines are readily available for use on our roads with top speeds in excess of 200 miles per hour."

Cars?  Yeah.  Modified bikes?  Yeah.  Production bikes?  Go on, name one.

"vehicles of choice rather than necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys."

Bike cut congestion by taking a sodding great cage of the road.  yes they are a vehile of choice, but so is a car.  Big whoop.  Bikes may be "toys" to some, but so (again) are cars.

"One issue if concern is the current system for reporting of health problems to DVLA."

Agree totally.  Why are drivers not required to show a valid medical?  yes this would cost, but I put it to you that savings in the early detection and treatment of illness would offset this.

"At this time the system is completely based on self-reporting, with GPs not being responsible for reporting patients with illnesses or disabilities that make them unfit to drive."

Not so sure about that, IIRC doctors (and accountants etc) are already required to report a number of things to the police et al, whether you want them to or not.

I'll dig through the rest of the report later.  I am staggered that after doing so much excellent work and seeming to make progress (BikeSafe, different advertising etc) ACPO have gone and puit their foot right in it to this extent.  Maybe it's a calculated attempt to get us to put our own house in order, who knows.  One thing is for sure, MAG and the BMF will use it to beat the recruitment drums.

Reply to this Topic
CaptainSmurf

Oct 08

CaptainSmurf says:

Thanks to MCN for drawing our attention to this matter, even if the headlines did somewhat exaggerate.

The suggestion that Brunstrom might be the author could be close to the truth - certainly the derogatory tone reflects his style, rather than that of an objective observer.

"Motorcycles are seen in the UK to be, in the majority of instances, vehicles of choice rather than
necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised
toys."

Should we not take this part of the statement to mean that roads need to be improved and, where feasible, markings and signs changed to facilitate the safe movement of PTWs (a bit like cycle routes) - after all the congestion busting virtues of bikes and scooters has been acknowledged by many. Perhaps we could write to our MPs asking them to supportsuch improvements to the infrastructure, obviously in the interests of reducing congestion, thereby having a positive effect on carbon emissions.

Reply to this Topic
tj-666

Jan 08

tj-666 says:

Capable Of 200mph you say?

well surely if your speed cameras are working (the ones that you make so much money from) then why is motorbikes being fast a problem?

how about the police stick to stopping the stabbings, murderers, etc... the things that are actually destroying many more peoples lives then speeding,

what about all these supercars that you can buy? yes they are restricted to 155, but why may i ask?

surely on the UK roads there is never a need to go above 70mph,

Why is it that when your house gets burgled, there are no police available but if you go outside and find the burglars parked on a double yellow the line or hes untaxed, the helicopters mysteriously available as well as every police car in the force?

Reply to this Topic
Stu749s

Oct 07

Stu749s says:

No Confidence

Does anyone know if we can all have a vote of no confidence against these shirt lifters who are trying to run our lives?

Lets just remove them from power now & force a general election, that will wipe the smiles of their effin faces.

About time we, the British people, made the decsions.  How the hell can an unelected Prime Minister decide when to hold an election.  Thats not democracy.

Reply to this Topic
Stu749s

Oct 07

Stu749s says:

No Confidence

Does anyone know if we can all have a vote of no confidence against these shirt lifters who are trying to run our lives?

Lets just remove them from power now & force a general election, that will wipe the smiles of their effin faces.

About time we, the British people, made the decsions.  How the hell can an unelected Prime Minister decide when to hold an election.  Thats not democracy.

Reply to this Topic
Stu749s

Oct 07

Stu749s says:

No Confidence

Reply to this Topic
shazhome

Aug 02

shazhome says:

Answer to daveball - "read & Think"

Dave although I agree that this is at this stage a police issue my point is that the final decison will rest with the government, who will indeed vote for revenue collecting by any means they can at as lower cost as possible.

The only way to ultimatly sway their views is to threaten votes in great numbers.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle