Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lugosi

Sep 08

lugosi says:

Erratic Running in Cold

Hi

I have a 1986 GPZ 600R A2.  I use it for commuting and am on the road by 5:45am each morning.  When it is a cold morning I get the following issue.  The bike starts absolutely fine but I notice that the engine seems to run erratically - particularly noticeable at slower speeds.  It's even stalled on occasions.  After about 30 minutes it seems to resolve and is ok again.  It's hard to describe what it's like but there's definetly something not right, it's not smooth can be a bit juddery.  It only happens when the weather is colder.  I've got a new battery and it's made no difference.

Any ideas anyone ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 November 2008 07:58)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Tooshay

Dec 07

Tooshay says:

Just an idea

Hi,

I dont know anything about the gpz600r, but if it runs on carbs it could be the petrol freezing. when i had my 125 at 17 (a couple of years ago) i would start it up and it would run fine for a little while but then a little way down the road the petrol would literally freeze to make the engine run erratically and make the throttle very unresponsive. It would also nearly always stall at traffic lights, junctions etc. If it is this, then i suggest you find some Silkolene Pro FST as this will sort it. Maybe this will help - unless your bike's not running on carbs!

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

KAWASAKI GPZ 600R A2 1986

Hi Lugosi

First i would like to point out that your bike is 22 years old so a lot of things could be worn and not at there best anymore.Taking this fact into account i can only give you my opinion having worked on them over the years.I think the first thing i would check is the air filter, check its condition and check if it is damp and possibly holding moisture.If it is, replace if not i would move on to the carbs.Drain the float bowls into a clean bowl so you can inspect the contents if there are blobs of water and brown rust water and debris then there will be water in your fuel tank rotting it away (classic problem with a bike of this age).You will need to clean both out and seal the inside of the tank before it pin holes and leaks.If it is not this, then check the carb slides and needles and emulsion tubes for wear.Check the carb slide rubber diaphrams they maybe perished and leaking.If none of these then check if all the plugs are running a good mixture colour, and are all very similiar in appearance (light coffee brown) if you have a wet looking black one then its on and off on this plug.Could be a duff plug or coil or plug cap or H.T.lead.This should be enough to be going on with if its none of these and you are sure then post reply with what you have found and we can take it from there.:huh:Good Luck

K.C.and the sunshine band:tongue:   

Reply to this Topic
lugosi

Sep 08

lugosi says:

Progress

Hi

Thanks both for your comments - I tried the Silkolene stuff and it does seem to have cured this problem.  Many thanks!!

Cheers

Lugosi

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices