Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should BMW build the Lo-Rider? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Should BMW build the Lo-Rider?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

Poll: Should BMW build the Lo-Rider?

BMW is looking for feedback on the Lo-Rider concept revealed at the Milan Show last week, so MCN has setup an online poll to see what you think. BMWs for sale The motorcycle is based on BMW’s 1170cc boxer engine and uses parts already used in the BMW range with a funky, minimalist style. The concept is also designed to be customised easily, wit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 November 2008 16:23)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
graingerblaze

Apr 05

Wow, that should give Harley something to worry about! I currently have a boxer engined BMW (R1100S) and find it to be a fantastic and indestructable engine, so anything it's built into in will be a winner! It isn't a fast engine and if your used to Jap bikes will find it clunky and slow, but then that's a Harley through and through, but this way you get BMW build quality... when can I buy one? 

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Like it...

...obviously BMW want a slice of the cruiser market but have recognised that even cruisers are beginning to diversify these days. The need for 200mph (yeah, right ACPoo) and 180hp is really an exercise in self-delusion on our roads, to the option to have a personalised, laid-back ride that isn't a cruiser might tap into an emerging market, providing it still provides the one thing that most cruisers lack - a reasonable riding experience and practicality..

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

Couldnt agree more with snave, there does appear to be a design flavour amongst manufacturers at the moment, to produce machines which sit between an all out cruiser, and sports bike. There are some nice new cruisers such as the Yam star 950, but design wise it has not moved on that much from the cruiser style from old.

The sports bike and cruiser markets are set in stone and will be with us for years, but this market of a 'personal middleweight design' is going to be huge, and in a few years I fully expect there to be some crackin lookin bikes available, to suit varying requirements.

This Lo-rider for my taste looks brilliant, although a less futuristic headlight would be more suitable to the bike, maybe the triumphs tripple twin spots. Also a broad range of bmw engines to include an 850 for more local miles, as the larger engines are mostly used by the older gents who like to tour, and I cant see many of the older guys going for something so modern, so by introducing smaller engines, bmw would attract a younger market for commuting purposes. Great looking bike, I like it. 

Reply to this Topic
shazhome

Aug 02

shazhome says:

NO! NO! NO! NO!

Bmw should never build low riders or cruisers or anything other than what they are good at off road and benchmark touring machines.

Reply to this Topic
usquebaugh

Nov 08

usquebaugh says:

Build it

I like the look of British bikes from the 30s & 40s and this 'Lo-Rider' looks like a great modern rendition.  The only problem is the boxer engine, put the inline 2 from the F800S in and it would look even better.  No flame wars I just don't like boxer engines on a bike.

BMW had another great bike in a similar vein R1150R.  I would buy one today if it didn't have the boxer.

If they want to make the 'Lo-Rider' then they need to keep the major asthetics, spoked wheels, single seat, high exahust.  Add some bar end mirrors and sell the thing at less than normal BMW prices call it the 'Depression Special' or something. 

I hope this is a wake up call to the rest of the manufacturers.  The public wants more than just the current race rep/cruiser/dirt bike product lines. 

Reply to this Topic
tackyaccy

Dec 07

tackyaccy says:

Naaa!

Looks a real bitch to clean, no wonder they only want us to ride it a coulple of hours a week.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

Just 1 Problem....

The Lateral opposed engine just ruins the lines of the bike and makes the exhausts look stretched in a bad manner.

I have said before on the previous bulletin on this bike that i adore the use of a chopped-off tail section making the Triumph Speed Triple look like a big-ass.

Its an excelent take that BMW are taking, prolly, very seriously indeed. Its just that engine.... the worst thing is, they will have to saddle loads of EU emissions equipment to it, so the exhausts will look even worse. Exhausts are a really important feature of any cruiser because they are rarely replaced and are expected to be ok-from-the-box (ironic because "chopper" comes from chopping up the bike and putting other bots on it, but then again, people who buy this bike are as far-removed from a real "choppper" as you can get hahahaha).

Other posters are correct in saying that yes, the Cruiser market is FINALLY starting to stagnate enough to split up into different area's, presumably by people who are sick of wine-o's talking to them in the street and being hastled by other bikers and image concious folk alike....

If anything, this is actually a sensible bike, if you take that logic, as it is still in the same catigory as before, but its own tweeks and looks will separate the Lo-Rider enough to make it a niche.

Reply to this Topic
JSYBOY

Jun 08

JSYBOY says:

"Looks a real bitch to clean" Yea thats the first thing i think off when i look at buying a bike, NOOOOOOT!!!

I think it looks awesome, a welcom break from the norm. if they make this i would defintly put in my list of next bike to buy.

My only suggestion would be to make room for a passanger and my only concern would be are those pipes going to cook my left nut

otherwise i think its awesome

Reply to this Topic
Quariosv650

Jul 08

Quariosv650 says:

mayby

its not a bad idea, but the look needs to be developed a hell of a lot more yet before i would even consider it as a serious purchase.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Yes Yes Yes!!!!

Good on em!! i say go for it, this is what we need, something fresh and funky, we all need to slow down a bit lol, so we keep getting told ;-) maybe attitudes to biking are changing enough now that this type of cool machine will be accepted by the sports bike mad brits?? i love it, its like a mix of old cafe racer with some american chopper thrown in, as long as its reliable BMW!!! not like your 1200 gs's eh?? let  yourselves down there a little, it looks perfect for just cruising along, enjoying biking just for the sake of it, without going flat out everywhere just 'cos you can, would suit somebody who perhaps fancys a cruiser, but cant do the whole harley hog thing?...do it now BM!!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle