Skip to content

Discuss This MotoGP Poor Value MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > MotoGP Poor Value

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Anderson  says:

MotoGP Poor Value

I note with great interest the comments made by Valentino Rossi regarding MotoGP being boring. I have been involved in all forms of road racing for the best part of sixty years,travelling all over the world to support bike racing,and without doubt Moto-GP as stated by Valentino has become boring to watch (125s and 250s excepted). For fans to travel...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (14 November 2008 16:17)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

Boring?

Simple answer then andy dont watch it if you find it boring granted some races are but not all and next year could be different!

Reply to this Topic
leemuz

Jul 08

leemuz says:

how to...

i don't think andy's having a go at the sport in to negative a way i tend to agree...let's face it we've only had one real good race this year laguna seca and look at the hype that got going....i mean i had no nails left and my heartbeat was about 200/100...lol

the one tyre rule will help but i also believe we need to loose the traction control like it used to be...you hardly ever see them backing into corners like they did 5 years ago...and that looks awsome...along with leaving a 20' black line coming  out the corner...

and yes i think a two race rule would be good (maybe run the 125's on saturday) with the first motogp race then the 250's then the 2nd motogp race...???...dunno sounds good to me...

the fact the beeb have got the gp next year won't do anything to help liven it up cause you won't get coverage like euosport used to give....and trying to add another race...phhha...not a chance you'll be lucky if you get highlights of the 125's and 250's of more than 1/2 hour then the main race...

bring back the eurosport commentary crew to they are the best...

Reply to this Topic
zooomer

Nov 08

zooomer says:

Valentino on a 250 in 2009

Valentino on a 250 in 2009/10/11 would be a great move for him and Yamaha to win the last 250GP titles ,not only that there are more machines on the Grids in GP250 ,it would certainly get interest and people talking about MotoGP. And put him well and truly up there as the Top Gun of all time.
Freddie Spencer won 250 & 500 titles in the same year but what if Rossi returned to 250 and lifted the crown , now that I would like to see!

Reply to this Topic
irishbloke

Oct 08

irishbloke says:

moto gp poor value

3 races in a day? jesus christ what a rip off. and they call that a gp?i feel knacked off enough as it is forking out £25 odd for bsb but at least theres more than 3 races in a day. sadly providing value for money for the punters isnt something high on the promotors list of priorities, not when there are people out there who would pay to go and watch rossi race on a pogo stick!

last gp i went to had 80, 125, 250, 500, sidecars and 2 superbike support races in 1 day. oh yeah, and some nutter in a v12 jcb digger doing 100mph wheelies. where was that? donnington park in 1984. cost about £20. im not convinced the current moto gp offering would provide better value. what the hell does the crowd do to while away the time between the 3 races? sleep? i guess it has become more of a tv event now than it used to be. sounds boring as hell.

Reply to this Topic
custarduk

Nov 08

custarduk says:

Unfortunately, buelligan272, if we told everyone that found MotoGP boring at the moment to stop watching it, the series would probably go bust within a year! I totally agree with Andy, in order to keep the current fans interested and encourage new fans, the races need to be more like this years Laguna race. A couple of friends of mine, that aren't into bikes at all, are now avid MotoGP fans after watching that Laguna race so the proof is in the pudding as far as I'm concerned. I'm a die hard MotoGP fan and never miss it on the TV, but I've not been to Donnington for a while now as I refuse to pay the extortionate amount of money to travel a 500 mile round trip to sit in the pissing rain for three races. If it carries on like this we'd likely end up without a UK round, as the venues stop making a profit, just like it has with WSB at Brands Hatch, which in my opinion was far better value for money, and we've still seen its demise.

To make it better value for money, maybe MotoGP should run a privateer cup within the same race like with BSB. By making last years factory bikes available over the counter it would swell the grids helping to develop new talent both in the paddock and on the track. This would also mean the bikes would then filter back down to National and Club levels, possibly allowing the development of non production racing for future generations. Remember Shane Byrne came from the privateer cup, he now has the potential to become a world champion in WSB. So maybe MotoGP should take a leaf out of their books.

As for making the day/weekends event value for money as a whole, they should at least reintroduce the sidecars and the classic support races, sometimes these were more exciting than the main races.

Oh yes, and challenging Rossi to do a double crown, I'm sure it would appeal to his sense of achievement and add to his tally of records to break. I recon if enough of us suggested it he'd consider it... go on Vale... do it... it'd be well rock n'roll... go on...

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

custardduk

I did not say to everyone to stop watching Moto GP just Andy!
Other than that I totally agree with you:smile

Reply to this Topic
custarduk

Nov 08

custarduk says:

Fair point, but it could be interpreted that way if you were one of the fans that found it boring this year. :smile:

You're bang on about next year possibly being different. We haven't a clue what impact the tyre rules are going to have next year, and I for one cannot wait to find out what's going to happen. It's interesting to see that the technicians and the riders are split on this one, bring on 2009! (But with sidecars and other support races)

Reply to this Topic
zooomer

Nov 08

zooomer says:

80, 125, 250, 500, sidecars and 2 superbike support races in 1 day. oh yeah, and some nutter in a v12 jcb digger doing 100mph wheelies

Did they have a morning warm up ?

Reply to this Topic
taglioni

Mar 07

taglioni says:

says

it is true, my first GP was 1981 in Brno und I watched the 50, 125, 250,350, 500 and sidecar-classes, this year I've been there again to watch the boring rest. My boyfriend got himself a beer during the 250 race, that's how bad it got. At Sachsenring we had some rain this year, so the races became more exciting, but now with the world-finance-shit sponsors will become rare and I fear, there will be less competitive bikes out.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices