Skip to content

Discuss This RiDER Power: The world's best handling motorcycles aren't sportsbikes Bike tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Bike tests > RiDER Power: The world's best handling motorcycles aren't sportsbikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Keen  says:

RiDER Power: The world's best handling motorcycles aren't sportsbikes

In the 2008 RiDER Power survey, the bikes rated highest for handling and suspension aren't Japanese. Even more surprisingly, they're not even sportsbikes... As Ben Miller writes in this month's RiDE magazine, "For motorcycle engineers on an island on the other side of the world, the latest RiDER Power survey must have made uncomfortable reading". That's because in the handling category the top...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (24 November 2008 12:18)

Post a message in Bike tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ax1464

Nov 08

ax1464 says:

Not Sportbikes?

Those aren't "sportsbikes"?  Could have fooled me.  Sure, maybe they're not all "traditional" (inline 4, fully-faired, racer-replica) sportsbikes, but they sure look like sportsbikes to me.  And the fact that they all have great handling sort of MAKES them "sportsbikes", no?

Reply to this Topic
djjonnibgood

Sep 07

djjonnibgood says:

Handling

As far as handling goes i suspect these bikes come out ahead of your run of the mill r1s, blades etc because they handle in the real world i.e easy to manouevre, turning circles, and the fact that they are easier to ride at slower speed, after all a bikes handling isnt rated on how easy it is to get your knee down or flick it from side to side through a chicane.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

I Think The Real Question Is...

"What IS a sportsbike now?"

Nearly everything has a fairing or its a "naked", and fairings where designed for sportsbikes only. But even the first true superbikes where naked muscle.

I think the term should really be "none racing bikes" ..... To which end, the KTM would have to go, as it's raced alongside BSB :-P

That or call them "Road Bias Bikes", bikes which wernt intended for race use, just pondering on roads .... And if you did that, you'd see the floodgates open for everything from Aprilia Tuono 125's, Suzuki SV650s to Yamaha TDMs and Kawsaki ZXR750s.

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

Sportsbikes

As the age old saying goes, it ain't what you ride it's how you ride it....

Reply to this Topic
Phat Bob

Mar 08

Phat Bob says:

Sportsbikes

Looking at the bikes in the list what makes them stand out from what is usually called a sportsbike is the riding position.  All of these (except maybe the Triumph) are more upright.  Basically, IMHO, if your knees are in your ears, it's a sportsbike...

Reply to this Topic
richlees2001

Oct 05

richlees2001 says:

Ride Mag readership

Does this not say more about the readers (and what bike the readers have) of the Ride magazine, rather than the best handling bikes?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

No surprise

It's no surprise. So the latest BladeR1GsxrZx is like hot snot on the track. And just how much time do you spend on the track??

Most "Sportsbike" riders can't ride their bikes to their full potential. And I'm glad of this fact. It's so much more fun kicking their wobbly upright arses on my 10 year old sports tourer on a Sunny Sunday.

For me, it's about the riding. It's not a bloody fashion parade.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices