Skip to content

Ask an Expert Refactoring page topic... Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Refactoring page topic...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

RiDE magazine  says:

Refactoring page topic...

...to proper hierarchy.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (27 November 2008 16:25)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Haluk

Aug 08

Haluk says:

Cold water rinse?

Surely not fully faired bikes? Is the rinsing meant to get rid of road salt?

Reply to this Topic
brocksta

Oct 09

brocksta says:

lube and hairspray

A good old-fashioned tip is to coat anything chromed in a layer of vaseline before it gets covered in rubbish after a wash.  The bike will quickly look like a rat bike as the dirt will stick to it, but it will prevent rust on crome and only needs a couple of washes and applications a winter.  This is of particular use if you have spoked wheels (which a lot of 125 winter hacks have).

Hairspray is another good one for the same reasons although you must take care not to use it on anything that gets too hot and NEVER apply this to a hot engine.  As the hairspray is just thin glue it will protect bike parts from corrosion without the need for too regular washing.  Some might have noticed a pattern forming towards laziness here - but those who ride in freezing conditions every year will know how appealing being out there with the bucket and sponge is.

Otherwise of course a rear hugger will save you buying a new shock every year (why was I too tight to do that last year?), and lubricating your chain with something sacrificial rather than sticky will help prevent a wearing paste being formed on the chain.  At the moment I'm using old engine oil very regularly (twice a tank) - but usually, and certainly the only one I'd recommend is EP80w90 or similar every 250 miles or less.  This does cover the rear wheel in thick greasy dirt but that seems to protect the paintwork so who cares.

Not looking forward to the snow on the VFR8 again for the third time - determined not to drop it as I've been too tight to buy a hack again.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices