Skip to content

Discuss This Downing Street petition - bicycles in bus lanes Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Downing Street petition - bicycles in bus lanes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Downing Street petition - bicycles in bus lanes

Has anyone seen the petition on the Downing Street Website to have bicycles banned from bus lanes? http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/bikesbuslane/  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 December 2008 15:32)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
anyweather

Oct 08

anyweather says:

I'm aded

Laughed at first, but the authors point about a single individual slowing down a bus full of people down to 10-15mph makes sense.

Reply to this Topic
antoineg

Dec 08

antoineg says:

Non starter

It's a nice idea but the next question is - where should the cyclists go if they aren't in the bus lanes? No-one wants them on the pavements and there are almost no segregated cycle lanes in this country. So I don't think there'll be much support for this idea

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

Wow

A grand total of 9 signatures! Gotta laugh.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

I Signed Up...

Bloody good idea...

My belief is that ALL pedal cycles should be taxed and carry a registration plate on the rear (same as a motorcycle). Without one cyclists are irresponsible due to the fact they know they cannot be caught being naughty!!! I am of course generalising but there is no valid reason why a responsible and law abidding cyclist would not agree... Could be a nice money spinner for the government to boot, extra money in the kitty...

Reply to this Topic
arctral

Jun 08

arctral says:

Only 9 signatures...

To monkeyseemonkeydo:

As far as I can tell the petition only went up 3 days ago (but has a year to run) and the MCN looks nearly as recent so that could well be a good start to be fair.

To add my two shillings: my friends, colleagues and I have been discussing this for a while and it's the reason that I've been using the Northern Line for the past 5 years to get to work instead of the bus - utter hell as opposed to unexpectedly slow hell. 

I have become a biker (yay!) due to this sort of short-sightedness on the part of the transport authorities.  In light of the LCC (London Cycling Campaign) calling the Mayor's trial of motorcycle access to London bus lanes as [leaving] "cyclists and pedestrians, facing the greatest potential danger," it seems they might also need to have their own (substantial) shortcomings addressed.

I agree with the argument to have push bikes regulated, taxed and potentially licensed.  But, in agreement with those who question where bicycles should go instead of bus lanes, we need to recognise the need for additional bicycle lanes.  I still think that where these do not exist the cyclists should have to make way for buses, but with a decent and separately recognised infrastructure everyone could be happy.  We should perhaps help them push for this.  Just a thought.

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

D'oh!

Ok, so maybe I missed the fact that the petition does indeed finish in a year... my bad!

With regards taxing/registering bicycles, it would never work. There are literally millions of bikes which are used solely off road, or on private property etc, let alone the millions of kids bikes. I also really don't think that the cyclists are the problem- only a perceived problem. Any 'wreckless' rider who drivers moan about is more than likely very experienced and wholly aware of what's going on around him and will be able to make progress himself without causing any major problems for other road users. The problems come when drivers take stupid avoiding action and brake sharply for no reason, purely because the driver's under the impression the cyclist doesn't know he's there and has a death wish.,

It's similar to the way many car drivers see motorcyclists as reckless purely because we don't have issues overtaking vehicles when they'd rather sit 2 feet behind a lorry for 20 miles without ever considering the possibilty.

Meh, I certainly won't be signing...

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

transport

Perhaps there's a place in a far off land where there is a proper integrated transport policy, where public transport is efficient, cheap and nice to use. Where drivers, riders' and cyclists are well trained, observant, patient and don't fight for each inch of road space, jump red lights, cut each other up or intentionally block people from passing. Where pedestrians don't just wander into the road without taking their eyes off the text message they're writing but actually stop, look and listen. Where the policing is done by officers on the ground who use common sense and discretion and not just indescriminate cameras who raise funds for the treasurey.

But we live in Britain where pretty much the opposite is true. The more we fight against each other as road users the more the 'divide and conquer' approach to transport policy in this country works. Cyclists hate bikers, bikers hate car drivers, car drivers hate everyone and while we're at it the Government / EU sneaks another law through that makes life on the roads harder for everyone.

I've no doubt that there is a plan somewhere to licence and tax cyclists (and why not?!), to be bought in when there is no more money to be milked from motorists but they'll never see it coming until it's too late because they spend all their time and energy trying to get bikers off the road. Leave 'em to it. There are more important things to deal with.

Reply to this Topic
richlees2001

Oct 05

richlees2001 says:

Stop Signing!!!

The trail of bike in bus lanes is to start from the 5th of Jan 09. TFL have given in and a trail to help ease congestion and lower accidents rates is to start soon.

Thats why there are so fwe signatures on the petition!

Reply to this Topic
anyweather

Oct 08

anyweather says:

Keep Signing!!!

It's a trial richlees and TFL didn't give in, Boris ordered it. I think you'll also find that this petition is for something entirely different and nothing to do with motorcycles at all, read the petition there's nothing in it about motorcycles, it states that pushbikes are holding up the buses. And the reason for so few signatures as stated by another postee, it's only been online for a week.

Reply to this Topic
sanjstreet

Dec 08

sanjstreet says:

silly idea

seems a bit silly to get rid of bicycles from bus lanes, ifthey get ousted, motorbikes wont be far behind them surely?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices