Skip to content

Discuss This Snowy ride-out as London’s bus lanes finally open to bikes Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Snowy ride-out as London’s bus lanes finally open to bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply




Steve Farrell  says:

Snowy ride-out as London’s bus lanes finally open to bikes

Motorcycle groups braved snowy roads to celebrate the opening of London’s bus lanes to bikes with an early morning rush-hour ride-out today. Representatives from the bike industry, riders' rights groups and even the London Mayor’s Office joined a ride on bus lanes from Whitehall to the Ace Café in Wembley despite arctic conditions. It marked the day journeys for tens...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (05 January 2009 15:12)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Dec 07

Posts: 14

Groundbait says:

Big deal

We've been using bus lanes in Hull for years

Reply to this Topic


Jun 07

Posts: 3

happydog says:


The only lanes open to bikers are those that are controlled by TFL  and as they only account for 5% of londons bus lanes    the remaining 95% are under the control of the local councils who have NOT relaxed there rules. ride with care and check the signs

Reply to this Topic


Feb 08

Posts: 319

well yes, it is a big deal

 as 'unlike Hull' we have not been allowed to use bus lanes so for us it is a big deal :)  Obviously London politicians need to learn a few things from the ones in Hull ;)

Reply to this Topic


Sep 04

Posts: 46

Pedbaker says:

From the TfL site...

Red routes are the roads in London that are owned and maintained by Transport for London (TfL). Five per cent of the roads in London are red routes, but they carry about a third (approximately 33 per cent) of the city’s traffic. These are the key routes or major arterial roads in London. Red

Reply to this Topic


Jan 09

Posts: 2

josephheaven says:

Bus lanes

Although I consider myself a bit of a biker novice having only been riding for 2 years, I have cycled in London for 9 years and commuted on the motorbike daily since passing my test and I have to say that in my experience riding in buslanes is dangerous! I have had two minor accidents, both caused by people not paying attention in the bus lane (turning right particularly). Drivers do not see us because we are not as wide as a car and they just don't look for bikes. Use the buslanes to get you through town quicker yes, but EXPECT someone to pull a car into your path 6ft in front of you. If you don't do this it is only a matter of time. I see it happen all the time and sadly someone died riding the bus lane on my way to work thanks to unobservant drivers. Ride safe.

Reply to this Topic


May 08

Posts: 96

Bikefar says:

Bike Friendly

Aylesbury, near where I live, offers free, undercover parking, and use of buslanes. I am happy to shop in Aylesbury and do so. Watford doesn't seem to have buslanes and bike parking is limited to 1hr in certain areas. So do take your business to either of these towns.

High Wycombe offers little to attract bikes - there's precious little safe parking and you can't use buslanes. Consequently, you don't often see bikes except those passing through. I take my business elsewhere!

Reply to this Topic


Jan 09

Posts: 52


what a stupid photo mcn decided to use as there's an illegally parked car if that's the rush hou, so no benefit at all

Reply to this Topic


Apr 04

Posts: 19

daveball says:

Bus Lanes

What a complete con(servative). I wonder if Boris thinks he is going to get more revenue from bikers who are confused at which lanes they are allowed in and which they aren't. £120 every time one makes a mistake. It makes it not worth the bother and in most cases its quicker to filter anyway.

Reply to this Topic


Jan 08

Posts: 10

DEAF AID says:

Bus Lanes

As a Bus Driver and BIKER I know where I would rather ride my bike in the sub zero temps we have been having.........the bus lane lets face it it has to be the best gritted road in London!!


Reply to this Topic


May 07

Posts: 23

jowjow says:


That code should be what people adhere to anyway, not just in bus lanes.

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices