Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

spindle

Jun 08

spindle says:

oil level in sight glass

Hi All.

just a quick question, when checking the oil level should this be done when cold ?. The reason i ask is that i checked my oil level in sight glass and it was about half, when the bike is started the oil in the sight glass is completely gone after about 30 seconds. so do you think this is correct or do i need more oil ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (11 January 2009 16:20)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

oil level

Hi Spindle, everything is okay. This is normal, the oil is being pumped around the engine so no oil can be seen in the sight glass. When turned off the oil will slowly fill up again in the sight glass. Just make sure the oil is between the high and low levels when the bike is in the upright position with engine cold. Get someone to sit on the bike whilst you check. Again all is okay.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
spindle

Jun 08

spindle says:

oil level

thanks forklift, i was thinging that would be the case but thought i better ask to be sure

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Oil level check

The question asked suggests that spindle doesn't have an owners manual, in common with the many questions that are asked which should be resolved by a look in this document,  This suggests that many manuals get lost when ownership changes, though it's not happened to me (yet).

For the cost of paper and postage, I'd be prepared to copy mine for any unfortunate CBF500 owner who needed one.  Couldn't this be a voluntary service generally?

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

manuals...

could alwayds get a haynes manual... will help with all sorts of jobs.. and ive learnt a lot of stuff from mine.. and what its saved me on labour its paid for itself several times over already!!!  you can get haynes manuals for most bikes...

Reply to this Topic
reddevilsbrigade

Dec 08

lost manuals

lost owners manuals, yeah I've had that problem.  When I bought my last bike from someone he said he would look for the manual and send it on.  Of course, I never received it so I went to a dealer and he got one from Suzuki for me. Okay, it cost £13 but it's worth it I think :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices