Skip to content

Discuss This First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1 Bike tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Bike tests > First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1

Senior Road Tester, Michael Neeves is at Eastern Creek in Sydney to ride the much anticipated Rossi-inspired 2009 Yamaha R1. Here are his first impressions, check out MCN on Wednesday for a full report. We think he likes it... Watch Neevesy's trackside first impressions video Don’t get too caught up on how the new R1 works, with its crossplane crank and irregular firing order,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 January 2009 06:00)

Post a message in Bike tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

HHMmmm?? noise??

Honda gixxer & powel, i see were both of you are coming from..its like this, my R1 has full yoshi carbon cans on it, with the baffles removed at the moment..BUT..when i come into a 30/40 mph i slow down and dont take the piss, unlike some bikers who keep it pinned, a good example of which is entering the village of shap in cumbria, on the A6,  the road up from kendal is a really good thrash, in the middle of nowhere, so you dont really piss anybody off except the sheep!! lol,

As you come into shap the speed limit drops to 40 or 30?? cant remember, either way we slow down, but some dont, as the straight road still allows a fair old speed..how do you think those people feel who live in that village?? if they have kids who play out front??..

On the flip side, and heres were i agree with hondagixxer, i dont like boring old farts telling me what i should and shouldn't be doing, if i scrutineered their life, i'd find summat about them that i wouldn't like, i work bloody hard to have my bike and all the extras that are on it, and there are far worse crimes being committed than some noisy bikes!! so get over it..the moral is, dont give them an excuse..slow down where needs be..then...F**KIN PIN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
yamarone

Dec 08

yamarone says:

carn't wait

victor powell meldrew. you sound like a c**k, stop cryin,

carn't wait to get my hands on a new r1, if i can get 0% finance am tradein in the old r1 for a new 1. Am gona

fit race cans and whip the baffels out  first  job sonic armigedan!!!!! on its way to a town near you soon !

or may be i could just aford to keep old one to ???????

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

White R1..

I think the white with red frame looks awesome above..out in the sunlight it looks much better!! anyone wanna buy my 08?? i'll leave the goodies on it!! lol..MUHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Reply to this Topic
doctorwatson

Jan 09

doctorwatson says:

R1 +

I would n't take too much notice of what journo's say about new bikes (especially lap times ), a lot of it is personal and everyone knows no journo will slate a bike at a press launch for fear of not getting the invite next time.,look at ktms rc8 they all said it was wonderfull , then later on accepted the fuelling was utter filth.and the manufacturers make sure that the test bike is slightly above par.

as far as the noise argument concerned i could go on all day  about it , its  always been an issue and always will be

ride em fast lads

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

I see what you're saying doc..but the KTM was a brand bew design right???? the R1 is just a continuation of an already superior superbike...so i cant see it being "wrong"..

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

Manufacturers Abilities...

Wasnt the Yamaha for the brakes? (Honda now sports Sporty ABS) and Honda for the powerful/ unconventional race-bred engines? (yamaha R1 now goes long bang) ......

Sounds thrilling, mind!

Reply to this Topic
hondagixer

Aug 02

hondagixer says:

like you say Stu i have a full yoshi system on my bike and i respect the throttle in towns and built up areas.But i'm off the believing that quiet cans means drivers don't see you.Loud or louder than standard systems means not only do drivers pay more attention but they also look for you as they can hear from where the noise is coming from.

In my riding of over 20 years i have been knocked off by drivers who say 'sorry mate, i didn't see you'.But since iv'e had race cans on my bikes drivers have been more aware that im there.

And i stand by that.

But that R1 does sound nice even as standard.

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

making u feel u need one

blah,blah power blah,blah handling blah,blah brakes..........i had a 98 blade nothing ever got away from me on the road or ever outbraked me into a corner...i now have a 2005 blade and it has a bit more power,a bit more handling,a bit better brakes...and guess what i can`t go any faster on the road than when i was on my 98 blade...it just looks more modern and appealing....all this shit is only going to appeal to the `must have the latest thing` brigade where the only time they`ve used the last 2 inches of tread on the back tyre and got their knee down.....WAS WHEN THEY FELL OFF

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Never a truer word said simon...same here...but..." you dont need a twelve inch cock..its just nice to have one" , i dont need an 08 R1, i'm just fortunate enough to be able to have one, you pass this life but once......................................................................................and i will enjoy it!!! lol...

Reply to this Topic
lancealbon

Aug 08

lancealbon says:

Loud pipes and new R1!!

Shame guys! Sounds crap living in the UK! Come to South Africa where you can have the loudest pipes on your bike, and reach supersonic speeds to hear the music from them! R50 or 3 Pounds will get you off with the pigs (Traffic Cops).

And we don't live in mud huts either. We have some of the greatest roads and great race tracks (Phakisa - MotoGP & Kyalami - SBK). Let the girls stay in the UK (with their quiet scooters) and come ride your loud bikes here in SA - our woman are hot as well !! It is great to have the latest Superbike but it sucks that they change every 2 years. Our finance plans are usually 4 years. So you haven't even paid your bike off and it's the "old model"!

Keep it on 2 (Or 1 if you can)! The UK definately has the best National Series (BSB) and the best Bike mags and web sites. Thanks.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices