Skip to content

Discuss This First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1 Bike tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Bike tests > First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Neeves  says:

First ride: 2009 Yamaha R1

Senior Road Tester, Michael Neeves is at Eastern Creek in Sydney to ride the much anticipated Rossi-inspired 2009 Yamaha R1. Here are his first impressions, check out MCN on Wednesday for a full report. We think he likes it... Watch Neevesy's trackside first impressions video Don’t get too caught up on how the new R1 works, with its crossplane crank and irregular firing order,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (19 January 2009 06:00)

Post a message in Bike tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GMan7

Jul 05

GMan7 says:

New '09 1000's

The new R1 goes and sounds well in the video and I think the other new '09 Thou's are gonna have to be real good to beat it.  I am waiting for the new Gixxer and am hoping the new engine, shorter wheelbase and longer swingarm are gonna make it the King for 2009.

Reply to this Topic
bodger racing

Jul 07

gsxr????

sorry m8 but thats gona be nothing compared with the r1 and rsv4!!! same as the blade and zx10 they gona be playing catch up, come on suzuki, honda and kawasaki do something differant!

Reply to this Topic
GMan7

Jul 05

GMan7 says:

GSX-R K9

I don't think i'ts gonna be as clear cut as you may think?  We'll resume this conversation after the Gixxer and RSV4 have been tested!

Reply to this Topic
BeamishBlade

Jan 09

BeamishBlade says:

R1

Sounds good but I will wait till the road test against the best of the rest.  Cant see it being quicker on the road against the Blade with new abs.  He said it struggled with grip on road tyres so what use is that on crappy UK roads.

Reply to this Topic
GMan7

Jul 05

GMan7 says:

Bring on the new Gixxer

I reckon Suzuki have got a few tricks up their sleeve with the new Gixxer Thou!  We'll find out in a few weeks!!!

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr900rr

Jun 07

backend

i don`t care how good it is........cos it`s one of the ugliest,badly gelled looking bikes  i`ve ever seen.......how  the fuk did someone put those cans on the back and everyone in the design department go oooohhhh yeah they look great?????......the only way a bike looks good now with the dustbin emission exhausts is if it`s slung in the bellypan.....and suzuki have proved that they can make that look shit as well

Reply to this Topic
johnnyrex

Jul 08

johnnyrex says:

Agreed

I feel like it's '98 all over again! All this excitement and the buzz of that original bike seems to be repeated with this. Yamaha have moved the goal posts again.

However this time it's slightly tainted by the fact that Yamaha have botched the looks so badly. Yamaha has always had the best designed bikes but now they've done something that I would expect from Suzuki by slapping on a pair of beastly exhausts! So irritating when all this time I was waiting for an R6 crossed with M1 but instead they've given us this bug eyed animal. Think I will stick to my 08 screamer with it's lovely sleek lines.

What a shame because I really wanted to like this bike!

Reply to this Topic
zootar

May 03

zootar says:

lancealbon

I think I'll stick to riding through London than risking it down william nichole and having the taxi's jump red lights. ALL my bikes have had loud cans, and if you ask me, the amount of  "pigs" I drive past in London, they don't seem to care too much. Finance deals on new bikes are usually over 36 months at 0% if you time it right, and with the power of the pound, we pay them off sooner rather than later without having to starve.
As for tracks, we have Donnington, snetterton,  Brands hatch, Cadwell Park all within a days ride - hop on a boat for an hour, and you have Isle of Man TT - legal speeds are unlimited, and every car on the road is bike aware. Bored of the UK, no problem, week end trips to France, Spain are do-able without taking leave - from our jobs that are not BE and still available to the fairer skinned folk.

Sure, you have sun light - and if you live long enough to see the next day, you feel a sense of accomplishment, the women do look after themselves a little bit better than most here - but once you bagged your hottie, the reast don't feature anymore. You have 10ft walls with electric fenses, bars in the windows and consider only Durban or Capetown as the choises for December holidays.

Enjoy it bru - I'll think of you next week when I'm doing track days around spain Jerez, Valencia, and Guadix  for less than you pay for petrol to Capetown alone.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle