You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Heading To spain

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

smudger49

Mar 05

smudger49 says:

Heading To spain

I've never done any serious touring (Just a 1000 mile in 24 hrs charity run around Eng & Scot). I'm heading over to Spain in July on my own on a 1200GS. I want to go via the Channel Tunnel, providing it ain't on fire at the time. I will be going to Almeria. I would be gratefull for advice on routes, a realistic journey time and safe places to camp. I know it's a lot but any help would be appreiated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (20 January 2009 22:32)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

route

I have travelled down eight times to Mojacar in Almeria.  Visit the Picos, stay just outside Fuente De, there is a hunting lodge on the left of the road with panoramic views of the mountains.  Take the 'A' road to Segovia and there is a hostal in the Place de Major with secure parking.  Visit Covadonga (there is another Hostal on the right side of the mountain road out of the park.  Guadelupe is pretty and you can stay in a monastery.  You must visit La Alhambra in Granada.  Again there is a hostal on the right as you come up from the ring road from Motril which is good.  If you want more specific details pm me and I'll copy down my route which avoids most main roads and covers many of the walled cities and national parks.  I wouldn't camp below Madrid as the campsites will be stony and the hostals are pretty cheap.  Realistic mileage is 500 per day, although you don't sound as if you regularly rack up that sort of mileage.  The plains of La Mancha can get very hot in the summer.  If in Almeria you should visit Mini Hollywood where they filmed he spagetti westerns.  pm me for exact deatils DB

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smudger49

Mar 05

smudger49 says:

Heading To spain

Cheers DB. Its the route down I'm interested in as I'm visiting family down there (Albox) and have already been there about 8 times. Just want to do a decent run on the gs before I get past it.

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

Route

Ok matey.  I will dig my maps out and check.  My friends came down to Mojacar with me three times and now live in Albox!

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

smudger

Ok hope you are ready for this:

Calais E402 Abbevile

A28 Rouen

Evreux

Chartres

E50 Le Mans

E502 Tours

A10 Chatellerault

Pioters

Angoulene

Bordeaux

A63 Bayonne

San Sebastian

N240 Vitoria Gasteiz

Miranda de Ebro

E804 towards Logrono

N111 Soria

N234 Catalayud

Daroca

Teruel

N330 Requena

N322 Albecete

N322 Las Graceas

A317 Peurta de Segura

A317 Cortijos Neuvos

A319 Tranco

Cazorla

A 319 Peal de Becerro

A315 Quesada

C323 Pozo Alcon

A315 towards Baza

A334 Canilles

Seron

Olula Del Rio

Albox

Hope that helps.  It's a great ride that way missing the worst traffic nightmares.  I usually stop overnight at- Bordeaux, Daroca, Cazorla.  DB

Reply to this Topic
smudger49

Mar 05

smudger49 says:

Heading to Spain

:biggrin:Thanks DB. Certainly looks better than the route via Paris, thats all Motorways. Sorry for not replying before, been working away. Will keep you informed and maybe meet your friends in Albox. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

smudger

It's a good route, used three times.  As you say it avoids most of the nasty snarl ups.  I hope you have a fab time and my friends names are Alan and Mags.  They have a finco on the outskirts of Albox.  Alan rides a Pan and is a general builder so someone there has probably heard of him.  The Spanish section takes in a multitude of terrains and you and the GS should love it.  And, tenga una gran aventura DB

Reply to this Topic
ginger 72

May 08

ginger 72 says:

travel in spain

Have travelled calais to mojacar every year for the last 16 years , in my motorhome,using many different routes know the area well and campsites. If i can be of help email me ron.moby@hotmail.co.uk. For me it's a 4 day journey normally of approx 270 miles each day totall distance about 1260m. ron 

Reply to this Topic
redjim

Feb 09

redjim says:

Route

You can also go via Tour, to Vierzon then south via A75 Clermont Ferrand (no tolls)  to the Spanish border.

Tolls restart at Montpellier.

Jim

Reply to this Topic
rdo350

Feb 09

rdo350 says:

Think about the boat

Boat it, Portsmouth/Bilbao...cuts out the boring miles in N France...sleep 2 nights on the boat, see whales & dolphins...cost of £160 offset by tunnel,tolls,petrol, tyres, accommodation..when u get there have a wicked blat round Pyrenees etc. :smile

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

rdo

True the ferry takes the strain out of France and starts off the holiday mood.  The route I posted can link into either port.  However, I find Santander the easier option to egt out of.  Bilbao's ring road is a git of the first order.  DB

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices