Skip to content

Ask an Expert B king gearing Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > B king gearing

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ptolemyx

Joined:

Sep 06

Posts: 20

ptolemyx says:

B king gearing

I want to change the gearing on my '08 B-king. Will hayabusa sprockets fit or will I have to get special sprockets made. Point of interest, I want to go up a tooth on the front and down a tooth on the rear, mainly to get an accurate  speedo' reading ( are you listening Suzuki?) but I also think this may improve quarter mile times with an easier launch. I'll be at Santa pod to test this out.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (21 January 2009 18:29)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

   

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

  1.  
  2.  
  3.  

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iancol

Joined:

Sep 07

Posts: 1100

iancol says:

B King Gearing

By going up one on the front, you'll increase gearing by about 6%; by dropping one on the rear you'll raise gearing again, by about 2%, giving you a total increase in gearing of about 8%.  I guess from this that you're trying to correct against a satnav reading that says your speedo is about 8% fast. 

As for "easier launch", if you mean quicker, most riders wanting faster acceleration go the other way.  Please fogive my ignorance if that's not what you meant.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ptolemyx

Joined:

Sep 06

Posts: 20

ptolemyx says:

B-king gearing

Yes, I know it's counter-intuitive to raise the gearing for faster acceleration but I feel that the B-king is geared too low in first making it very difficult to maximise acceleration in the important first 60 yards. I should also be able to hold it in 3rd max'ing at 145mph over the line. Well that's the theory, aiming for sub 10 sec's in standard trim!

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Joined:

Sep 07

Posts: 1100

iancol says:

B King gearing

Please report results (and also say who your peronal trainer is, if you can keep hold of a naked bike at 145 mph!).

Reply to this Topic
ptolemyx

Joined:

Sep 06

Posts: 20

ptolemyx says:

B-king gearing for 1/4 mile times

With raised gearing; 10.6 secs at 130 mph.

With lowered gearing; 10.8 secs, very difficult to launch.

Stock gearing; best run was 10.201 secs at 144.608 mph!!!

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Joined:

Jan 08

Posts: 7080

kcmc says:

B&C EXPRESS

Have Renthal sprockets to fit your B-King and yes the Hayabusa front sprockets fit.Give them a bell it,s what they do!!

I know that they cover 39 to 45 in your rear sprocket and 13 to 18 on the drive sprocket,so you should be able to mix and match for most situations on the strip.Good Luck.

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_page.pl?cat=SPR-ROAD&nav=Suzuki

K.C.and the sunshine band:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Joined:

Sep 07

Posts: 1100

iancol says:

B King Gearing

I thought that what ptolemyx was saying was that "Suzuki knows best", ie he got the best results out of the stock settings.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Joined:

Jan 08

Posts: 7080

kcmc says:

I

Suppose your right iancol don't know about drag racing really.Its just that in road racing you can be at one track and the gearing is good there than at another it is completely different.I know this is due to each circuit is different bend and straight wise.But it can also be down to the traction you get at different circuits,so i thought that maybe at different drag strips you might need different gearing for take off or mid-range or top-end don't know??:huh:

Reply to this Topic
iancol

Joined:

Sep 07

Posts: 1100

iancol says:

B King Gearing

All I know about racing set up is what I've heard from the commentaries on MotoGP, etc, so I bow to your experience, kcmc.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Joined:

Aug 02

Posts: 3251

eatcs01 says:

B-King drag racing

Personally I'd stick with the standard gearing, and try other ways to improve the launch.

Front tie down straps are a cheap idea.

And I always used to use the clutch to balance the power on my Bandit 600 (yeah, I know there's a slight power difference :lol: ). As long as it's not the diaphragm clutch, it should take plenty of abuse...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

 

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices