You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > sv650s wont start

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Big Steve 65

Jul 07

Big Steve 65 says:

sv650s wont start

Hi, my Suzuki sv650s(2001) has recently developed a refusal to start. Its not the alarm draining the battery as I use an optimiser and its showing a strong healthy battery,the bike has new plugs and air filter plus a starter clutch(diagnosed by haynes manual) but that still hasnt solved it! Im running out of ideas,can anyone help?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (03 February 2009 11:15)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

SUZUKI SV650S 2001

Hi Big Steve 65

Could really do with you giving more info on how you come to the conclusion that the starter clutch was at fault??.And why you have blind faith in your optimiser reading(as they will give you a green light even when the battery has none or very little amps)??And when did it stop starting? and how ?what where the symptoms in the begining to make you choose such an obscure repair?

Reply to this Topic
Big Steve 65

Jul 07

Big Steve 65 says:

suzuki sv650s 2001

Thanks for the reply, Im not THAT much of a believer in optimisers and had my local bike shop check out the battery and that it was charging ok.

I referred to  the Haynes manual and in the fault finding section under the title STARTER MOTOR ROTATES BUT ENGINE DOES NOT TURN OVER and the first of only 2 faults listed is the starter clutch. Im no bike mechanic so I trusted what i read.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago and there was no proir problems or symptoms. When you press the starter button you can hear the starter motor but the engine doesnt turn over.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

SUZUKI SV650S 2001

Hi Big Steve 65

A  bit more info brings a murkier picture:biggrin:

Try putting a jump lead off another power source (like another bike or a small car)Make sure you connect and diconnect the jumper leads with the ignition off as the surge of power jumping a gap could cause problems.This is an easy way to tell if its the battery (if it is replace the battery with a new one,job done)If not check starter motor,remove and check the teeth on the shaft are not worn and the shaft turns freely (there will be some resistance due to the magnets)Could be bearings seizing or brushers worn out check the intermediate gear for teeth wear on the big and small gears.Also excesive play in the intermediate gearshaft.Also you say you have replaced the starter clutch,did you replace it all or part of it,and did you check it was working properly before you fitted it?

Good Luck

K.C.and the sunshine band:tongue:

P.S. I can only make a diagnosis on the info given :upset:     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

Non starter

I also have an SV650s 2001 model. A few years back mine would not start, called the AA out. Eventually he tracked it down to an electrical connector under the right hand panel. He disconnected it and put WD40 in it, it started. It was the large plastic white male/female connector to the right of the right fork. I am not claiming to know alot OR know more than KCMC far from it, but this did work. However in the past if the clutch lever is not pulled completely in it will also not start. Check the very small electrical connection into the clutch lever, this will sometimes affect it.

KCMC please correct me if i am wrong.

regards  'Forklift'

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

NO PROBLEM FORK LIFT

I have to start somewhere with the info given, if the info i give dosn't help then i would normally move on to something else ie electric problems like you yourself have covered.But with Big Steve 65 saying his starter motor is working ie making a noise then that means power is getting to it ((so connectors, clutch switch, side stand switch, ignition switch,etc shouldn't come into it))  but he says the engine is not turning over.Which to me indicates lack of power or some think too tight as not to be able to turn ie bearing seizure, something broken eg teeth off gears or a fault in the rebuild as i think he has had the starter clutch apart

All the best K.C.and the sunshine band:tongue:.   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices