Skip to content

General Attention Fireblade RR6/7 owners, you must read this! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Attention Fireblade RR6/7 owners, you must read this!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fastbikefinder

Aug 08

Attention Fireblade RR6/7 owners, you must read this!

I finished from work the other night to find a small puddle of oil under neath my RR6 thou. It was pitch black so I could only see a drip on the bottom of the sump bolt so I checked the oil and all was fine so rode home.

By the time I got home it was daylight so I cleaned up the oily area with some degreaser and removed the r/hand belly pan to investigate further, bear in mind everything you see here is wet from oil and degreaser and the photos have enhanced the red of the exhaust etc.

This is what I found.....

sump

and...

sump2

I am so shocked. The salt has eaten through the coating on the alloy sump, and then eaten the alloy aswell, so much so that it has gone all the way through and started leaking oil.

Where you can see it's eaten away around the sump bolt boss it is actually loose gooey metal that is nearly soft to touch!!

The bike is kept very very clean, and protected with ACF50 etc.  I changed from Suzuki's due to salt rot not expecting my precious Honda to suffer but she has and I'm devastated.

The bike ran out of warranty last june but I've managed to initially claim an 'expired warranty' claim.

Honda were going to fix it, but are now messing me around, stating that their warranty does not cover corrosion, which contradicts the warranty book as that says that parts of faulty manufacture will be replaced.

I am now having to build a collection of photos of RR4, RR5, RR6 and RR7 sumps as I am going to  pursue Honda with this.

So please if you have an RR4, RR5, RR6, or RR7  like me then check your sump for the pitting signs of corrosion before it ends up like this.

Please can anyone at all email me photos of their RR4, RR5, RR6 and  RR7 sumps with mileages so I can compare and build my case???

I so far have 4 other sample bikes, all with pitting, or first signs of corrosion on the sump....one of them is an RR7 with only 700 miles on it.

I would really appreciate any help at all.

Also, I have emailed the Motorcycle News twice about this asking them for their support with a bit of exposure for my case, but sadly no reply in nearly a week:blink:

Thanks everyone in advance!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 February 2009 01:50)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
morris987@btinternet.com

Dec 08

ive still

the remainder of the warranty on mine ,its a year old next week 6th march ,although it was barely used last year my sump seems fine ,any dealings ive had with the dealer have been to say the least a bit of a nightmare they wont admit there is any problem and ive done the threatening of trading standards they are just not interested ,it needs nailing pretty soon because it will get put on a back burner because its only an old blade and whoosh before we know it yer in for a 4 or 5hundred quid rip off repair dont know whether to just trade the fukker in and have done with it trouble is what do you get to replace it all the new bikes are so damn ugly .

Reply to this Topic
fastbikefinder

Aug 08

.......don't trade it in Mo

Exactly, what else would you get?

I' tempted by the '07 R1, or even an '07 Kwak but the blade is such a great all rounder and it's soooo comfortable for people over 6'1" I don't know what else I'd have at the mo.

The issue with Honda will resolve soon enough but for the mean time use your bike and enjoy!

Reply to this Topic
Kentblade

Mar 09

Kentblade says:

Sump pitting

Yep,  just looked at mine, May 06 RR6 13K miles, and its pitted all over, not leaking yet, plus the powervalve is seized solid, £138 for parts worth £10, build quality of 0/10

Reply to this Topic
morris987@btinternet.com

Dec 08

fbf

have you heard anything from the legal department of mcn if in fact you have contacted them if you have and havent heard anything let me know and i will pester them as well was out this sunday for a couple of hours spoke to an rr6 owner on looking at his it was obviously going the same way as the rest on here

Reply to this Topic
fastbikefinder

Aug 08

..another one.........

That's unacceptable IMHO,

If you see him again grab a picture and post it here please.

Not hear from MCN  at all, feel free to give it a go

Reply to this Topic
bikerwookiejim

Nov 07

Shocking

I cant beleive Honda's legendary build quality has come to this. I blame the search for lightness, mag is fine on race bikes where weight saving really counts but do we really need it on our road machines? 99.9% of riders won't notice and won't care what thier engine covers are made from. What they do expect is reliability and safety, especially from a company as well regarded as the big H.

I believe Bimota had this problem with thier fancy three piece wheels not so long back, The rims were one metal, spokes another and they bolted together with another.....ripe for corrosion.

On a sub note I have a 1987 CBR750 Hurricane in my collection , used all year round and that shows bugger all corrosion. I'm really dissapointed to hear of your troubles and I really hope you get them sorted.

Reply to this Topic
fastbikefinder

Aug 08

more corrosion...........

From the start I was concentrating on the obvious corroded area where the oil was leaking from.

I have just pulled off the sump this avo and have come across all round corrosion at the bolt points around the mating surface of the sump to the engine crank casing, also found the 'HOLE' where it's eaten through into the sump oil chamber.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
morris987@btinternet.com

Dec 08

i

fukkin give up time for a change i think suzuki have got massive probs with the frames honda are ignoring this problem ive tried ringing them but keep getting put on hold they dont want to know well ive had enough thinking about something completely different ,may be a nice little slk merc fukk the bikes too expensive to maintain and the after sales people treat you like a fukkin troll when you complain

Reply to this Topic
bikerwookiejim

Nov 07

Morris

I wouldn't bother with a Merc if you like customer service then, they are shocking. Treat you like shit. Nice motors though.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

sump corrosion

As foxman says, VOSA need to be involved in this as they are the vehicle inspectorate, and with the powers to prosecute (they the ones you see on telly checking the foreign lorries and so on for defects) if it goes through the proper channels there should then be a recall through DVLA. This is a huge safety issue if sump plug comes out or similar say after a motorway run or similar.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices