Skip to content

Discuss This Cycling columnist sparks row Other

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Other > Cycling columnist sparks row

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Cycling columnist sparks row

A cycling columnist for The Independent has sparked a row on the paper’s website by claiming motorcycles in bus lanes is a ‘recipe for disaster’. James Daley says letting ‘carbon-emitting, noise-polluting motorbikers’ into the lanes has made cycling in them more dangerous. He claims motorcycles are both more polluting and more dangerous to cyclists than cars are. The column has attracted...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (17 February 2009 16:51)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gazzarossi

Apr 06

gazzarossi says:

Emissions

This is one cyclist who's emmissions far exceed that of my bike.

I have never seen so much verbal diarrhoea.

I'm sure there is more methane in that!

Reply to this Topic
arctral

Jun 08

arctral says:

Jumping red lights

I've just reported him to both Kensington & Chelsea and City of Westminster borough police for his earlier article (thanks to boro365) where he admits to jumping a red on the Embankment, in print.  What a fool.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Independent misinformation

Having read Daley's article, the tenor of the misinformation it contains seemed to have a familiar ring - then I remembered where I have seen this sort of gobbledeegook before - from the bigotted lips of one Janet Street-Walker (sorry - Porter) who, surprise, surprise writes for........The Independent!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

So...

...not only to the cyclists give him a muppet award, they chase him down in the street and give him a dose of verbal.

I am beginning to like these cyclists more and more!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

cyclist's column

He appears to be the cycling equivilent of Steve Berry

Reply to this Topic
colingowler

Apr 06

colingowler says:

Methane

They don't fart then.

Reply to this Topic
NickEx

Sep 05

NickEx says:

Cyclists are the most likely new recruits for motorycling. Be nice to them! By the way, I liked the atricle.

Reply to this Topic
polainm

Mar 09

polainm says:

Tarring with same brush

Many MCN comments and letters totally fail to acknowledge the vast numbers of cyclists who are very experienced road users, have no problem with motorcyclists who are considerate, and share the same problems of killer pillars, very inexperienced drivers, bullying bus drivers, and all other forms of death passed down through traffic and road layout.

The CTC and other cycling campaign groups are right to be concerned about 200kg of motorbike using the bus lane. The real issue here is not the bicycle user, bus or motorbike, but the road layout.

In many places across Europe, traffic has its place on the highway, some places like Assen, Offenburg or Copenhagen, have very high levels of decent cycle infrastructure and bus services. This is well thought out, clear, and works well. Conflicts as we are debating here is rare. Italy and Paris being an exception!

The real villains are the DfT and TfL.

These rants against cyclists need to stop. Motorcyclists ranting about the minority of idiots on bicycles is as bad as drivers ranting about tw*ts on motor bikes. This bigotry is socially corrosive and will get us nowhere. If you really need to point the finger, point it at the Department of Transport. An out of touch collection of bumbling meddlers who have failed the UK for the last 40 years.

If only two-wheeler pressure groups could unite, then the idiot leading DfT might take some notice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices