Skip to content

Discuss This Are you Mr Average? Other

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Other > Are you Mr Average?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Laura Kennerley  says:

Are you Mr Average?

A new survey has smashed biking stereotypes to reveal that the average 21st century biker is a middle-aged, middle-class, professional family man with a beard and love of heavy metal.  This specially commissioned cartoon depicts Mr Average Biker proving he is streets away from iconic figures such as James Dean and Steve McQueen. Mr Average Biker is generally six-feet tall, with brown...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (23 February 2009 15:13)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Full Breakdown?

Would love to see a full breakdown of the results to see just how varied the motorcycle community currently is!

I do not match the above criteria though, late 20's, never held a car licence so two wheels are all I know, average +/-20,000 miles a years (commute/tour all year), 5ft 6in, have just just gone back to uni...but I do have the brown hair.

I think I read somewhere that 'Mr Average' also probably owns a Honda, so my Buell bucks that trend too. Should the picture above have less/greying hair?? :-)

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Mr Average?

So he's a 'manager' earning £30k? Can't live in London area, tube drivers get more than that...

For the record, Not keen on heavy metal, no beard, height correct, two tats, salary better than his, don't hit his milage, two cars in garage, more like 4-5k miles per year.

Reply to this Topic
sprag

Aug 02

sprag says:

well I don't fit that theory for a start

I'm a fat, late 50's female with grey hair, I'm almost six foot, I don't have a job other than full time carer lookin after me mum for which I get paid beans...... I ride a 1200 Bandit [been known to ride Harleys at times] don't have a beard [lol] like heavy metal but also quite like classical stuff as well. I have one car in my garage [a 14 year old Peugeot diesel] I refuse to use public transport..would rather crawl over broken glass..... I have no dress sense, get drunk when someone else is paying for it, love cats, detest suits [and the gonks who wear em] :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but lets face it..... surveys only tell you what the people asked have told em [often not the truth] so hwo gives a rats doofers? not me. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
peterca

Dec 02

peterca says:

Thankfully I'm  not Mr Average either. I've ridden bikes for nearly twenty years, lucky enough to earn much more than Mr Average as a software architect/engineer (eschewed management paths as I actually want to gain some useful skills!), no beard, cropped hair, dislike heavy metal (eclectic musical "pop" likes include Kate Bush, Radiohead, Cocteau Twins, Beatles, Dead Can Dance, Depeche Mode, love classical especially Vaughn Williams), 5' 11" tall, no car -- can't drive a car, FZ1 Fazer, two tattoos so far -- fully sleeved arms. Isn't diversity a good thing :)

Reply to this Topic
NewToN_

Jan 08

NewToN_ says:

and does it really matter?

As bikers we like to think that we are individuals with a strong identity. However the article is surely challenging the perceptions of the stereotypical biker of today as being something different from the perceived image that the general public has of us.

After all aren't giant trailies some of the best selling bikes today and wouldn't the Mr Average profile fit the average GS owner quite well?

Alas at 5'7 I don't fit either Mr Average or a GS ;-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices