Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar test to decide Kawasaki/|Marco Melandri fate MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar test to decide Kawasaki/|Marco Melandri fate

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Qatar test to decide Kawasaki/|Marco Melandri fate

Marco Melandri is expected to test a Kawasaki ZX-RR in Qatar next week, but the Italian is not yet convinced he will start the 2009 season. Get all the latest MotoGP news In a further confusing twist to the on-going Kawasaki saga, MCN understands Melandri will decide whether he will be part of a one-rider Kawasaki team based on the competitiveness of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (25 February 2009 16:05)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fuller46

Apr 05

Fuller46 says:

waste of time

I dont think he'll race in motogp next year. He knows the bike is slow and if he rides it too hard to be closer to the mid pack he'll fall off and leave with no real data to work with. If I were in his shoes right now i'd be pitching the italian TV channels for a commentators job for the year and train like a trooper. Then wait until Elias' ride comes available next year as Honda probably won't want to spend money on a factory spec bike for a rider to only get results at the end of the year like he normally does. In fact, Herve Poncharal should get some kind of contract with him to stand in for any injuries that may come to his riders.

Reply to this Topic
stoner27

Jul 08

stoner27 says:

expense

add randy de puniet to the list how they gonna be able to afford to run him all season with his repair bill per race.maybe marco could get his ride mid season to cut costs for the year.

Reply to this Topic
halfmanhalfninja

Feb 09

why oh why...

Speaking as a loyal fan of the marque (and a regular customer!), this whole episode is past embarrassing...

It was great to see Kawasaki in the top class of racing, even if they only made up the numbers. But after recruiting Hopkins (albeit at vast expense) and especially the much-maligned Melandri, it looked like they were giving it their all. To end up like this with the season starting very soon is enough to make me weep...

Just crush the bike, pay everyone off and go make a decent effort of WSB.

Reply to this Topic
TheCelticHound

Jun 08

CONFUSION REIGNS

What a bag of bolts this saga is turning into, I thought Hopper was their No1 so why has he not been offered the ride or is Marco bringing sponsorship with him. Surely after nearly killing himself last year trying to take the Kwacker closer to the front than it deserved he should get the ride. Something funny is going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to ???. From recent reports it looked like Marco was giving it a go on 4 wheels instead of 2, I must admit to being completely stymied by this turn of events. Ciao

Reply to this Topic
assen03

Dec 08

assen03 says:

He was 3 seconds off the pace last year.

Reply to this Topic
matto3227

Nov 07

matto3227 says:

What a joke

This situation is just turning into the biggest joke yet.

If the team "formally known as Kawasaki" has a chassis, and a engine, and sponsers, and a race team too run it all... then why not run with it regardless! Why allow the decision of whether the bike can race too someone who has never really run on the bike before apart from a 1 day test, who, lets not forget spent the whole of last year proping up the back end of the grid???

Dont get me wrong, i think Marco is a talented guy and has had alot of tough breaks with bad bikes and injuries... BUT...

Surely if Melandri turns round and says "nope, sorry guys, this aint for me" then their would be a que as far as the eye can see of riders who would give their left nut too have the ride, any opertunity too run in moto gp would be taken by grab by most with both hands... the bike could turn out too be pretty handy. The team should be of the attitude that if Melandri doesnt want it, then they should still go press ahead regardless... it is Melandri's decision too make for him, and if he doesnt want too ride the thing then it should void his contract, as he has been given the opertunity to ride and has turned it down... Then it should be a case of thanks Marco, enjoy your adventure into the most pointless car racing series in the world... EVER.

Reply to this Topic
Pizzaboy

Sep 07

Pizzaboy says:

Cold feet

Everybody's got cold feet now and this whole thing smacks of a wastefully expensive fiasco in the making. No one is stepping forward to provide clear leadership and Melandri is understandably frightened a second season of poor results will break his career in half.

Scared money never wins, as they say, and the bike was never all that competitive. I hate to say it but I think they should all just walk away from this half-arsed resurrection attempt. The kwak wasn't exciting to watch last year - under the circumstances I don't think it's going to produce any thrilling surprises this year.

Melandri deserves better, Kawasaki should know better.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices