Skip to content

General Yam YZF 1000 Thunderace? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Yam YZF 1000 Thunderace?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

thegaths_jon_harris

Jun 08

Yam YZF 1000 Thunderace?

Im going to look at one on Monday.

97 (p), £1700 ono, MOT etc, 13,000 miles, very good condition with race can and data tagged. Needs new back tire. Selling to lack of use.

I dont know much about these bikes, im not even sure what im looking for. R1 really but cant afford it :upset:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (28 February 2009 14:11)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
thegaths_jon_harris

Jun 08

why low?

I really do love the ZX9R, i think that and the thunderace are the best looking for their age.  I really like the Fazer as well, but like you say i think it will be over 2K for a good one.

I am actually warming to the Thunderace now the more i look into them, they seem really sound. Any ideas why they are a bit lower in price compared to the same year other bikes?

Reply to this Topic
thegaths_jon_harris

Jun 08

EXUP?

Am i being silly? BUt what is EXUP?

Reply to this Topic
bamber

Aug 02

bamber says:

it's a valve

in the exhaust which partially closes at lower rpm to improve torque and opens fully at higher revs to improve gas flow...............sold a 955i daytonalast year '99 13000 miles  - £1600!!

Reply to this Topic
staffsknot

Jun 08

staffsknot says:

thegaths

I have the 600 version the Thundercat but have ridden the Thunderace, its not as swift accelerating as the R1 but has similar top speed and is a hell of a lot more comfy if less racy. Problem is its a damn sight heavier too!

An EXUP was the final ultimate version of the FZR1000 which was an absolute early 90s missile and from where the YZF models were developed.

Have ridden Thunderace and they go for about £2.5k with 30000 on the clock as they are quite popular, great 2up tourer and old school racer with amazing brakes. Just watch the valves, forks and chunks of rust on the engine. Oh and most importantly check the engine cover says Yamaha and not NRK or similar as otherwise its been down the road on its side and they've patched it up!

Reply to this Topic
thegaths_jon_harris

Jun 08

EXUP

So was this EXUP Valve on all the Thunderace models?

Im really warming to this bike. Iv looked around at other models and i cant seem to find anything for the same price for what you get. 

Reply to this Topic
haplessdan

Nov 04

haplessdan says:

jon

If you look at the picture of the Thunderace, it says EXUP on the side fairing panels.  Bit of a clue there mate. :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle