General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
speed_freekzxr750rr

Feb 08

tip 1

dont wear your wifes pants, its not cool.

Reply to this Topic
haplessdan

Nov 04

haplessdan says:

tip 2

If you do wear your wife's panties, take care not to fall off as this could cause embarrassment when the paramedics cut your leathers off.

Actually, maybe this is a good idea.  Could we "sticky" this thread and keep it serious and relevent?

Here's my contribution - When waiting at lights, keep an eye in the mirror for some idiot who doesn't realise you're there and will cheerfully coast into you.  I've had oneor two lucky escapes, and seen a few more.  Be ready to stick it in gear and zip out the way.

Reply to this Topic
Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Tip

Use beeswax or silicone gel on your tankbag zips to stop them getting salted up and seizing.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Without going OTT...

...get a manual for your bike and try to do a few things (chain adjustment, pad replacement, remove fairing, add hard luggage, remove end can, add huggers or bellypans or mudguard extenders). Wished I done more of this earlier as it demystified much of the bike and boosted my confidence a lot. Also allowed me to lash together a few 'get-me-home' solutions to some of the random failings my bikes have developed :tongue:.
Stripping fairings off also allow for really good cleaning routines that gid rid of hidden rot areas :wink:

Reply to this Topic
Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Tip

Vaseline covered on wheels over winter will stop salt penetration and then can be washed off when the roads are clear (more of a tip for commuters who use bike throughout the winter.)

Reply to this Topic
GaryP-SV

May 07

GaryP-SV says:

another tip

When riding on Motorways and Dual carraigeways in heavy(ish) traffic and travelling at a similar speed to the cars either side of you, get in the habit of checking to see if you are riding in the car drivers blind spot! have a look and adjust your positioning accordingly. You can pretty much guarantee they won't bother to check properly and it could save your life!:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
GaryP-SV

May 07

GaryP-SV says:

an old one...

...but probably the motto of most riders.

Ride as if you are invisible and everyone else on the road is out to get you!!!

Reply to this Topic
kizgan

Feb 09

kizgan says:

visors

usrd to wear my wife's wooly tights [no sniggering] it was to keep me warm on winter commutes

a good tip is to put some fairy liquid on the INSIDE of your visor keep rubbing it untill it dissapears it helps to stop it steaming up, also at speeds upto 30mph keep the visor open by 1 click

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

tip-pump front & rear brakes before you set off & if poss do a mile with both brakes very lightly on gets em up to temp

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Pearls of wisdom gained from many years of biking.

Lube your chain with OIL. Do NOT use WD40 on "O" ring chains.

Set the chain tension with you (or a mate of similar weight) sitting ON the bike.

Punctured tyres CAN be fixed safely.

BIKE oil is for BIKES. CAR oil is for CARS. It's what is written on the bottle, and should give you a clue. If you're going to be a tightarse and ignore the label, then why don't you use SUNFLOWER or VEG oil??

You CAN use innertubes in motorbike tyres.

If you're working on your bike, and are about to pick up a BIG hammer, then STOP. Count to 10. Do you REALLY need to hit it that hard??? Probably not.

Just because the bike in front has a top box, isn't the latest sports model, and the rider is wearing cordura (or a cheap equivilant) doesn't mean that he isn't quick. Trust me.

There is no shame in coming last. Unless you think you are a riding god.Then there is more shame than you can handle (see the tip above).

That car WILL pull out in front of you.

You will not be able to outrun that copper. They are NOT stupid.

Be very careful of ANY car driven by a person in a hat. Any hat. Baseball or flat.

Single hex sockets are much better on small nuts than double hex sockets.

In North Norfolk, a Nissan Micra is a thing to be avoided. The driver will be at least 99 years old, and have the reactions of a tired snail. And the same driving skills too.

You are NOT invincible.

Sports Touring tyres are probably more than adequate for your riding style/skills. They will also last longer, and be cheaper.

Before mocking a rider for the size of his chicken strips, look at his footpegs. They may be scraped. You may get mocked for this.

Relax your grip. You don't need to hold on that tight.

If taking a pillion, they will NOT be impressed by wheelies, hard excelleration or hard braking. They WILL be impressed by smoothness, and getting home alive. With dry pants.

30 limits ARE there for a reason.

If in doubt, ASK. We've all been there. We were all beginners once.

There is NOTHING more embarassing than parking at a bike meet/full pub car park/outside a crowded kebab shop and forgetting to put the side stand down properly. Check it twice, or more if necessary.

Minor scratches can be covered with a bike related sticker.

Cheap tools may or may not be good. Expensive tools will be good. Halfords Professional range is a good midrange. Lifetime guarantee too....

More pearls of wisdom when my aged brain can remember them.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices