General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dsreeve9066

Feb 09

dsreeve9066 says:

Round abouts

Although it is not a must to get your knee, trying to do so on a large quiet round about does help with road riding. i got my knee down for the first time this week:biggrin: its good to know how far you can lean off without falling off:wink:

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Bollocks

Do not try to get your knee down on a fookin' roundabout. This thread is for new bikers, not wannabbees.

You will NEVER NEED to get your knee down on the road. Most of the so-called fast lads I have been out with hold me up on the corners while they fanny around hanging off liike some demented ape.Mike Hailwood never got his knee down, and he was one of the all time greats.

There is a time and a place, and for a newbie, that means not on the road. If you must, try it on a track day.

U2BF

Reply to this Topic
950Darren

Oct 08

950Darren says:

U2BF

Well said i hope they listen? 

Reply to this Topic
Mynott

Apr 09

Mynott says:

some

dont show off by doing wheelies infront of your mates or to pull...somtimes can make u look like a fool

only ride in ice or black ice when its 100% and more than 2 miles away

clean bike alot treat it like ur baby

Reply to this Topic
oddbob

Mar 06

oddbob says:

Fat old man on - riding tips

DON'T PANIC! Modern bikes can cope with more or less everything except humans. If you lock the back and go sideways don't let go off the back brake, the bike will snap back into a straight line and you'll exit stage left. Steer with your arse, line it up, back off gently. If you lose the front in a turn stay loose on the bars and keep the power on, with luck and practice it'll find some grip and not have you off in the process. Relatively minor events can feel catastrophic to the new rider. Stay cool, ride through it.

Claim your own bit off road. Look ahead and behind. Always have an out. Anything that suddenly appears behind you, let it past. If a quick burst of speed or a dab on the brakes will let you have all 3 lanes of the next island to yourself then go for it. Do NOT sit up the side of traffic. it has no lane discipline.

Don't ride in the gutter, is full of drains and debris and cuts visibility.

Practice maximum of two fingers on the front stoppers. Allows for some throttle control and avoids full hand grabs that will have you off.

Hold it on the back brake when stationary, watch the mirrors for text maniacs.

Get set up for the corner before you get there. Half way round isn't the time to run out of options.

It took me 5 years of daily riding to work up to a balls-out sprot bike. It took me 3 weeks after that to get my knee down. A few seconds more to get my hip, shoulder and face down. The famous Yank philosopher C.Eastwood once said, 'A man has got to know his limitations.'

I've lost count of the number of smears I've seen that were trying to impress somebody.

Get some luggage, keep anything hard and pointy off your body.

Find a good dealer, cultivate a relationship with them. It isn't just about the cheapest price on the web.

Middleweight singles/twins are doable in snow and ice. Anything more is pushing your luck.

If safe to do so give other riders a cheery wave. They might not have seen another bike for the last 6 months you snotty nosed fireplace riding onanists.

Once you've got the basics sorted, read up on counter-steering. Practice gently somewhere with plenty of space. Counter steering is not applicable to 80's Yams with rubber mounted bars.

Do not attempt to race fat old people on scruffy Beemers, Guzzis, cut-down FJ1200s etc.

'I had right of way' is a shit obituary.

ABS is a good thing for the vast majority of riders. Doesn't work well when airborn.

Ride your own ride, and everybody elses too.

Reply to this Topic
oddbob

Mar 06

oddbob says:

Fat old man on - kit

Buy some kit, wear it. Skin grafts are even less fun than minor amputations.

Second the earlier comment about boot laces, doesn't matter how much your rearsets cost, you can't gracefully stop 250kg of bike with your boot permanently attached to them...

Open face helmets are unusable at speeds in excess of 120mph.

Consider how rough a road surface is. Consider the conversion from MPH to feet/sec. Consider trying to stop an angle grinder with your arse, hands or face.

It is no longer acceptable to wear the wife's tights. Technology has moved on. You can now get one piece garter/stocking affairs with much more ball room.

Reply to this Topic
oddbob

Mar 06

oddbob says:

Fat old man on - other people

If you think the man in the car has seen you then you're as pissed as he is.

Stereotyping other road users isn't PC but it might keep you alive.

Give cyclists space, pull round them in plenty of time and give the rest of the traffic time to see them. A good pair of carbon armoured gloves vigourously applied to the teeth will silence the small percentage of cyclists that persist in being arses.

A few seconds gawping at the wench in the leather mini wasn't worth running into the front of the metro whose driver was gawping at the wench in the leather mini.

Harley riders are people too. Probably.

Reply to this Topic
oddbob

Mar 06

oddbob says:

Fat old man on - nature

Beware of animals, especially at dawn in the sticks. If you hit anything bigger than a cat/rabbit you are going to spoil your day. If you hit my cat I'm going to spoil your day. A good quality helmet will stop a small bird but you will end up with sparrow puree through the vents... Avoid badgers - they have no sense of humour.

Manure is very sticky and very slippy at the same time.

Sheep may look like fluffy little clouds but they are actually quite dense. Forks looks quite dense but are actually quite bendy.

A good sized tree can slow 250kg of bike plus rider from 150-0 in the space of a couple of inches. The tree will still be serviceable after.

Reply to this Topic
ginger 72

May 08

ginger 72 says:

riding france and spain

great roads especially in the counrty, very little traffic, just avoid bank holidays when every man and his dog is let loose. spanish pensioners are to be avoided at all costs and even more so if they are wearing a hat.

Reply to this Topic
Cleanwipe

Aug 02

Cleanwipe says:

Sidestand puck

The bit of plastic that goes under you're sidestand when parking on grass is a great idea. But tie some string to it, so when you set off you havent got to try and bend down to retrieve it possibly losing you're balance. Simple innit?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices