General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
biker1966

Jul 09

biker1966 says:

tube in tubeles

sticking a tube in your tubeless is cool for getting home but the seal will not grip the wheel so your tyre may come off

Reply to this Topic
Benorourke

Aug 09

Benorourke says:

Side stand miss haps.

if for any reason youve forgotten to take out a coaster or a "mud-bud" for your side stand, an easy sollution is to get a can of coke and crush it from top to bottom with your foot, it works perfectly.

P.s any other leading brand of softdrink available in a can will do fine:wink: 

Reply to this Topic
andyjn

Sep 07

andyjn says:

Tank Scratch :(

When riding on freshly tarmac’d road, make sure none of the sticky crap is stuck on you inside thy.

That way when you gripping on to your tank around the bends etc, it won’t scratch your tank and you won’t swear like hell when you get off a realize the stone embedded in the tarmac has drawn a doodle on your once shiny tank…. [and breath]

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

40 years later - passed test '69

Never worn leathers. (have a leather jacket though - although I usually wear non leather synthetic jacket - leather one is also posh enough to go out in.)

Never had a bad acciden, fallen off lightly a couple times, only pride hurt though.

Full face helmets are bl---dy dangerous. use an open face with a Buff to keep cold and flies off face.

If you want to race buy a car, trailer and racing bike and all the gear.

Motorcycling does not need a big fast bike to be enjoyable.

Avoid Motorways and main A routes.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
BikePlugs

Aug 09

BikePlugs says:

Dropping your Bike

You will drop your 1st bike

Everyone told me before I got my Bike that I'd drop it, I was like "oh no I'll look after it, I won't drop it"...first day out I dropped it

Don't sweat it, everyones done it

Pulling into a Biker spot on the A470 this Sunday and dropped it immediately someone a guy was over to help me before it hit the ground

Reply to this Topic
vertical

Jun 09

vertical says:

Top tips for new bikers

Yes learn how to ride on a track too, check out schools like this, they really work for beginners.

Verical.

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/index.php/track-mainmenu-8/track-schools/skip-barber-racing-school

Reply to this Topic
andyjn

Sep 07

andyjn says:

Fuel Reserve valves.. again

Someone already mentiond them, here's my top tip.

Don’t forget you have one, then when you run out of fuel, get off your bike and go find a petrol station, buy a 5lt can and fill up, walk back to the bike, fill it up, then ride off with 5lt can attached....this way you won’t feel like a complete twat!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
andyjn

Sep 07

andyjn says:

Trailers

If a car has a trailer on it, do remember to focus on the trailer + car and not just the car.  That way when the whole rig stops you won’t be too close brake and won’t fall of when you lock the front like a twit... (oh dear…)

I found coffee in the morning help in this exercise

Reply to this Topic
samuraiguitars

May 06

Security tip

When chaining your baby up (bike not wife or small child:lol:)
try to put the chain through the rear wheel rather than the front as it's too easy to remove front wheel and p*ss off with the rest of your bike.
If you can get it through the frame as well even better.

Reply to this Topic
newandconfused

Jun 09

Birds

I'm a newbie too (passed my mod 2 last week) and picked up this advice from someone at my work who has ridden for around 20 years.

Sparrows, pigeons and any other flying animals hurt you (leaving big bruises even with armour on) and explode all over your riding gear when they fly out of the bushes and hit you when you are doing any kind of speed! Eugh!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices