General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BIGMat

Jul 09

BIGMat says:

Yeah thanks

for all your input Gizza.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Top Tip

Ignore everything 'gizzabreak' posts . :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

gizza

Fuck off

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

tips.

Just had a precursory flick through, some good advice on here for 'newbies' (and a few that are good advice full stop) thought I'd throw a few in if you are taking your bike to work at a dealership.

1. Clean it, it doesn't have to sparkle, but a quick hose off before is always appreciated.

2. Don't bring it full of fuel, if it requires valve clearances, air filter or any of the myriad of jobs that require the tank to be lifted off. full fuel tanks are heavy. 

3. If you think something is wrong with your bike, don't storm in screaming, be nice about it and your dealer will most likely bend over backwards to sort it out., be friendly, and explain what you think is wrong with your bike. 90% of the time its an issue we have seen before and can easily sort out.

4. You CAN repair most punctures even on sportsbikes! no need to bin that new D208 because its got a nail in it!

5. If you have been tinkering with your bike and now it doesn't work, be honest. tell us what you have done and we can fix it in a jiffy. trying to save face by denying you have stripped the front end down will cost alot of labour when it turns out you have bolted your bank angle sensor on upside down. not to mention how silly you will look, (this did once happen!)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

Top tip

Always get someone else to clean and maintain your bike for you,its cheaper,:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
urbmark

Nov 07

urbmark says:

Gloves

Always fasten the cuffs of your jacket outside your gloves and not the other way round. Water will run down your arm and into your gloves otherwise.

Sorry if this has already been advised I cant be bothered to read all the replies :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
NeiljohnUK

Oct 09

NeiljohnUK says:

Tip

Watch out for (Esp. older) riders on BMW GS's with something to prove. They may be in the ditch round the next bend having past you at warp factor speed, or the bungies holding their top box on because the brackets failed may slip and dump it in the road in front of you...

To the shitty gold R1200GS rider, you sir are a knob, both myself and the R1150GS rider you cut up concur on that, and according to my 'Police calibration spec' speedo you were lucky the photo-society wern't out on the A32 today!

Reply to this Topic
tourx24

Oct 09

tourx24 says:

hints and tips

thanks for the hints and tips, am half way through my training but am getting annoyed with drivers who have no patience with us newbies. have been beep at several times while at rounabouts!!:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
tourx24

Oct 09

tourx24 says:

hints and tips

thanks for the hints and tips, am half way through my training but am getting annoyed with drivers who have no patience with us newbies. have been beep at several times while at rounabouts!!:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
tourx24

Oct 09

tourx24 says:

hints and tips

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices