General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boroboy

Aug 06

boroboy says:

Top Tips for new bikers

Women driving Citroen Picasso`s south bound along the A1 near wetherby have the GOD GIVEN RIGHT to change from the outside lane,cut across the other lanes and just and only just make the slip road to wetherby services, i know, i have the stains to prove it.

Keep your eyes open,concentrate,and never forget your life savers. 

I am losing the feeling in my toes, i think my leotard is too tight.............................:blink:

Reply to this Topic
jasonX

Jul 10

jasonX says:

THANKS

Thanks for all the tips guys. :biggrin: been riding off road for a couple of years now, just went legit so I can finally get on the road.

road traffic accidents

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

double overtake woes

if you're approaching a lorry which has a car behind it with a view to passing them both, be VERY weary of the car deciding to pull out and pass the lorry too.

give them both a wide berth, expect the worst, and razz past as smartly as you can.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bibesagain

Feb 09

bibesagain says:

False neutrals

When you hit a false neutral, especially when banked over at 85mph going into a corner too fast, DO NOT, and I mean NOT, slam it down a gear.  Always change up.

Last time I did this on my ZX9R (about 8 years ago), I buggered the gear box.

Cost?

£1,000.00

Ooops....

Reply to this Topic
123driving

Mar 10

123driving says:

Top Tips For New Bikers

Great post.

Reply to this Topic
delmn8ed

Jul 07

delmn8ed says:

Obi-Wan

Use The Force, is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Reply to this Topic
LISALL

Aug 10

LISALL says:

Top Tips for New Bikers

I myself am a new biker and a woman,I have learnt not to trust a woman in a car behind a truck on a hill facing down- who thinks the truck is going to reverse into her and procedes then to reverse into me!  Its not that I can happily throw myself into reverse gear or even push myself back up the Hill!

So Beware of woman car drivers on a hill!

Reply to this Topic
BIGMat

Jul 09

BIGMat says:

Tip

When putting your disk lock on, keep your gloves on. Those disks can apparently get quite warm:shock::blink::mad:

Reply to this Topic
tombojombo

Aug 10

tombojombo says:

top info!

This was an awesome thread! much info for a new biker! Thanks

Reply to this Topic
kursaal

May 10

kursaal says:

my bit

When coming to a halt at country junctions watch out for loose stones on surface this can cause stability problems when putting your foor down.:wink:

I used to lead a group of riders and if there was something loose or wet on a corner I would trail my right leg to indicate to those following that the surface was not all it should be.This problem seems to occur more on right corners because of where any loose stuff ends up with regards to motorcycle posistion on the road. If you ride in a group adopt a signalling system.

Also while riding in groups ride within your ability do not get drawn in and ride above this abilty good mates will wait at junctions and regroup.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle