General Top Tips For New Bikers General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Top Tips For New Bikers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Spindly Killerfish

Jun 08

Top Tips For New Bikers

I was just thinking after I posted the stupid reply about sticker removal (sorry) that there is a myriad of experience on this forum as well as the 'new to biking' fellows (and fellowesses).

Has anyone got any top tips (real ones this time) in relation to biking, skills maintenance etc that has been passed on or learned over years of experience that newbies could benefit from, things like taking out a coaster to put your sidestand on in hot weather so it doesn't sink through the tarmac.

Just thought as old farts could impart a bit of brain.

Sorry if this is a repost. SK.

P.S. whilst writing this I am wearing my wife's panties.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (01 March 2009 13:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Disagree

with aehewitt, most stupid creature on the road are definately 4x4 drivers!!!  And yes I have had one run straight at me!! (on my side of the road I hasten to add!):blink:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

your right about the 4x4s

:mad:However back to pheasants.My husband had one run at him near Helmsley it got stuck in his forks,when you looked down past the clocks you could see its beddie little eyes staring back at you, it was still alive.The heat from the bike was cooking it,we tried to pull it out but it started to struggle so we just waited at the side of the road waiting for it to die.I really don't like the little fookers or there babies.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
debbieb

Jun 11

debbieb says:

tips for newbies

Park on the 'correct' side of the road.  I set off on my first trip to the NE on my new bike and parked - loaded up outside my house. Walked off after putting the side stand down. (camber, what camber?)  Whoops, glad I have mushrooms 

Reply to this Topic
AugustusWindsock

Jul 11

Twisties !

My contribution for newbies going for a thrash in the twisties - by all means go for it and enjoy the thrill but ask yourself this - if there is a tractor/trailor/bin lorry stopped around the next bend can you stop in time before you end up being the next organ donor ?

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Hand brake (well sort of)

Leave your bike parked in gear on the side stand, this will prevent it rolling off on steep camber, hills etc

Can save you from a hefty repair bill

Reply to this Topic
jasperthehorse

Jul 11

my little tip

Big one for me.

Buy a copy of motorcycle roadcraft, its what the police use to train their riders.

Taught me soooooo much about positioning for safety and vision.

Cheap but priceless advice.

Reply to this Topic
antzx6r

Jan 09

antzx6r says:

never never ever

warm your bike up on your front then decide you need a poo leaving the bike running warming up ?

fast sh?t ever as you hear your wheel being took ?

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

-

When riding in the dark use your pass switch for extra lighting on corners (assuming your on low beam) If you wait until you start to tip in to the bend your head light wont affect the oncoming traffic.

Reply to this Topic
thegogg

Feb 10

thegogg says:

tips

:ph43r: Dont acknowledge ducati riders cos they don't wanna know.......tip..... use any kind of marg or butter to get rid of oil stained hands it's tops( just dont use it for ya sarnys after).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
hoskar

Apr 07

hoskar says:

biking info

Found this web-site some time ago, and thought it would be beneficial to others , new and old(like me).

You might have to un-american-ize it , but the info is usually quality.:sunglasses:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices