Skip to content

General Changing from first up to third gear... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Changing from first up to third gear...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bigDaveF

Jan 09

bigDaveF says:

Changing from first up to third gear...

Hey All,

I'm still relatively new to riding a bike (as evident by the last couple of posts I've made looking for various bits of advice), so apologies if this is a silly question...

I got a Honda CBF 600 last week & have been getting a reasonable feel for it...  It has pretty blistering acceleration in first (or at least relative to what I've been used to in 125cc land for 6/7 years), but I find myself taking advantage of first gear and going pretty fast by the time I change into second, at which point I get a bit of engine breaking/compression kicking in momentarily until it gets up to revs and I almost immediately need to change up to third...  This morning, I changed directly from first to third a couple of times & found it quite a bit smoother...  I've read on a couple of posts on here that you should work the gears as much as possible, but if the power bands for the gears widely overlap, is there anything wrong with skipping one?!?

(I used to do this in my old Focus quite a bit...)

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (03 March 2009 15:05)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mikejj

Mar 09

mikejj says:

1st to 3rd

Glad to have been able to help, there is always a bit of a buzz when you try to perfect something then one day BINGO you hit it just right, now try to see just how seamlessly you can go through the gears, you'll enjoy your riding more.

Mikejj

Reply to this Topic
mag46

Apr 09

mag46 says:

Blistering?

Hmmmm, never heard a CBF described as that before, maybe swift!

As for gearbox, a man from Honda once told me to "always use the clutch & be precise as the gearboxes are so fragile," his words, not mine!

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

ian

i know whtat you mean about gremlins in riding. Was out other day with some peeps and oneof them commented on my riding style saying a was a bit aggressive in the corners.

Ifor instance,

on a right hand corner i position the bike to the left and stay there he said right up to last minute then i head straight in for the corner, as in dive for it and after he mentioned that to me and i thought about it i realised i did . he told my to start bringing it across to corner a bit earlier as to be smoother.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
scarthie

Feb 08

scarthie says:

gear change

:smile you can set off in 2 gear just give a little more power when set off then you go in to 3 gear then 4 gear then 5'6 gear on which road you are ride

Reply to this Topic
wackjonny

Jul 08

wackjonny says:

Gear changing.

Lucas gonna be a moster speed rider,seems he always want's to learn,Ask's  a million and 1 questions...best off all he pays attention & listens.:winkie:

bigDaveF Never heard anyone wanting to change to 1st to 3rd................?

Unless you are red linning it in first which is why 3rd seems more comfatable for you,along with losing alot of excelleration out of second.

This seems such a shame you want to lose second,and very odd.....but as you said the 600 is monster power compared to the 125 cc The power band overlap maybe because you are letting the Rev's drop to quickly,maybe down to 5 OR 6 RPM Before you change gear for second.

Take on board the bikes going to seem agressive and fast,as for skipping a gear nothing really wrong with it,just such a shame you want to lose it.

Enjoy all the gears and don't miss any.

I think after you have gotten used to the bike a little more....enjoying riding it!!....... you may ask yourselve why would anyone want to change from 1st to 3rd.

Ride safe,and remember,respect your bike's power......it aint gonna respect you.:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

wackjonny

sorry about bombarding you with questions etc:wacko:.

Could always do what i do when im wanting to accelerate quickly and not use the clutch at all but you got to get the timing spot on off rolling quickly off throttle clicking up gear and then throttle back on

Reply to this Topic
wackjonny

Jul 08

wackjonny says:

Sorry for thread divert back to bigDave.

wackjonny

sorry about bombarding you with questions etc

Don't ever say sorry,I think it's wonderfull you wanting to learn so much, we all was the same mate,most of us still are.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Lucas. Clutchless upchanges.

To help get the timing right, I put pressure on the gear lever BEFORE I want to change, then just snap the throttle shut, then open again. The gear should slip in quite nicely (OOOEEERRR missus). But I am used to Suzuki's, which have the best gearboxes known to man. Although it works on my Kawasaki too :smile.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

eats

yea thats pretty much what i do.

i know have a suzuki as well but i got to say my 125 yam was very good at this.

i dont always use these type of changes though, only use them if im wanting to get on a bit lol

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices