You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Learner Bikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sammi46

Feb 09

sammi46 says:

Learner Bikes

Apart from a Honda CBR125 what else would be good for a learner bike?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (04 March 2009 19:16)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

No end of good learner bikes out there

It doesn't always pay to go new for a first bike. I learned on a then 5year old Yamaha SR125 (mini cruiser). The riding school was filled with SRs CG125s and the odd MZ. No doubt some of these ones would be well past their prime by now - but there should be a wealth of Commuter / sports or trail bike 125s available.

If you have to go new, CBR125, CBF125, YZF125 etc are all good buys; as are a few trail bikes. Bear in mind though that you will take a big hit in depriciation as buyers will assume all 125s were learner abused.

If you can, it might be better to use a riding school's 125 and pick up a 250 for your 2 yeas at 33bhp (or a 500 if you can do direct access and afford the insurance bill)

Reply to this Topic
dick65

Dec 08

dick65 says:

bikes

hello sammi

ive got a yamaha ybr 125

its not a sports type bike but a good sized roadster

very easy to ride and nippy as well...up to 70

you can get 140 miles from a fivers worth of petrol maybe a little less in traffic

insurance is less than a £100 fully comp yearly...spares cost peanuts and its also very reliable

a great fist bike....mine just got me through my test

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
kirkyboy1986

Sep 08

kirkyboy1986 says:

depends

it does depend on what your after if you want a cheap reliable commuter then you will have to get a honda cg125 i had a 1990 model and it just would not brake at all as much as i tried.

if you want a sports bike the a yzf125. cbr125. aprilla rs125 (very chavvy tho)

and if you want a crusier type bike my mate just bought a ybr125 a 18month old one and he paid 1200 quid and i must say it is a little nippy aswell

as for trials bike they are okay but alot of them are all 2 strokes and sound shite,

hope all goes well

and rememeber be safe and build your experienceup

regards

kirk

Reply to this Topic
sammi46

Feb 09

sammi46 says:

Learner Bikes

Thanks for all the replies.  I am taking my CBT in a couple of weeks and if all goes well and I pass I want to get a bike asap. I have been looking around and all that I seem to have found are CBR's.  I do fancy a sports type bike but I am worried that the handlebars might be a bit low, I had a taster session on a Yamaha SR125 and it was very upright, I will be taking my CBT on the same bike too. I am worried that I will get too used to this and then never be able to get the hang of the lower handlebar position of a sports bike, which is what I would like to buy.

Reply to this Topic
sammi46

Feb 09

sammi46 says:

Bikes

Thanks, will bear that in mind. Cost is a big issue for me, as you say there's insurance, tax, mot etc etc and I'm wondering whether I should get a cheap runaround and spend money on the DAS instead of buying a newer bike and not doing it.  I'm also thinking of doing a motorcycle maintenance course too so that I can look after my bike.

Reply to this Topic
cushk3

Mar 09

cushk3 says:

Adapting

I wouldn't worry about adapting to a 'sportier' style riding position - I went from a Suzuki GS500 (very upright) to a Suzuki SV1000S which has a very sporty position and I have picked it up very quickly - just be slow and steady until you learn what the bike is capable of... and what you are capable of...

Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
sammi46

Feb 09

sammi46 says:

Handlebars

Thanks! I won't worry about it then at the moment, I just need to get through my CBT'/DAS and then concentrate on riding safely and feeling comfortable on the bike, I suppose you can see more when you are more upright than crouched over?  I love sportsbikes and go to a lot of the races and I just want to look cool really but maybe that will come in time LOL:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
dick65

Dec 08

dick65 says:

bike....

sammi..........

dont forget yer theory test after the cbt.........:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
sammi46

Feb 09

sammi46 says:

Theory test

Yeah, I have been practising this on the DSA website when I get bored at work lol and I did a practice hazard perception one and got 4/5 so not too bad eh?:roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices