Skip to content

Ask an Expert Touring Ireland? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Touring Ireland?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andromeda

May 06

andromeda says:

Touring Ireland?

If you're considering touring around Ireland particularly the Munster region i.e. counties Cork, Clare, Kerry, Limerick Tipperary & Waterford) I would hesitate to spend money on an organised tour/guide for several reasons:

1- Ireland is not big enough to get really lost!
2- Common Language is English although the local dialects can sound weird at times!
3- Free travel info and maps from www.discoverireland.ie & local offices.
4- Excellent holiday hostels from 14-18 euro p/n in dorms, extra for private rooms and usually secure parking.
5- Always friendly local bikers and others on tour from the Continent to share route suggestions and craic.

If arriving by ferry to Dublin from Wales, a good first nights stop is Glendalough Hostel in Co. Wicklow 30mins south of Dublin excellent facilities and spectacular scenery.
Always beware of gravel on roads as lots of roads are covered with 'loose chippings' nasty stuff on bends. Oh, and roaming kamikazee sheep too!  Remember the speed limits are in KPH. I'd be reluctant to ride in the evenings as drink driving is an issue in rural areas at night combined with tourists forgetting to drive on the left!

Enjoy your trip.

NOTE:  The Cork/Swansea ferry is to be re-instated in time for summer keep a check on the web supposed to be running come June or July

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (04 March 2009 19:49)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BonnyB

Mar 09

BonnyB says:

Ireland tours

I went to ireland a few years back am planning another trip this summer to Kerry, Dingle, Clare and Gallway got any good spots to stop at i'm thinking mainly entertainment in the evenings, also did you do any surfing?

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

hmm

I'm just guessing there's some financial link here between Andromeda and Glenalough Hostel.  Call me a cynic.

Reply to this Topic
andromeda

May 06

andromeda says:

BonnyB

Hello BonnyB

There's always lots on in the tourist season with regard to festivals and music in general.  If you like traditional 'didlydee' (I can't stand it!) most pubs in even the smallest town will have dome eejits strumming along, although it get's better the more drink you consume for some strange reason.........  I'm based in Cork City and check out the guides for example 'www.corkgigs.com/index.php' which is useful.  However, google the likes of 'What's on Kerry, Cork or Ireland for example and you'll find loads of stuff to do.  As for surfing, I did about 600kms around the west coast and seen a lot of surfers at Inch but I guess google 'surfing in Ireland' and you'll find what your looking for. Oh, by the way how do you carry a surf board on a bike, under your arm?

Reply to this Topic
andromeda

May 06

andromeda says:

R100R

Hi R100R

Like yourself I'd tend to be a little cynical and I take your point.  I suggested Glendalough as it is part of the independent hostel network YHA I think and is to a high standard and I use it quite often.  I don't have a connection to it at all but it is one of the better places to stay I think.  The link is: http://www.anoige.ie/directory/wicklow
and check it out.
http://www.anoige.ie/directory/wicklow

Reply to this Topic
adrian5750

Mar 09

adrian5750 says:

Ireland Tours

HI
Just to say that the Swansea Cork Ferry will hopefully return in May. We were hoping for April, but now that's less likely.

In order to make this happen, we need to raise some funds - and are looking for people to invest in a co-op to help purchase the new ship.

Full details are on the website www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com
 - there's even an online pledge system!

The only catch ? - we need to pledges by 5pm Friday if we are to get the ship in service for this year..

Please visit the website and pledge your investment if you can

Many thanks
Adrian - Campaign Co-organiser

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Majoreyeswater

Mar 09

The Ferry........

Whichever ferry you use, take time to check they lash your bike down properly, now the cheque has cleared i can say that last august P&O Irish ferries made a half arsed job of it for me and its taken me til now to get them to pay up................:mad:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices