You are in... Forums > General > General > New rider R6

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joeyt5569

Mar 09

joeyt5569 says:

New rider R6

Hi all i just passed my cbt yesterday and am going to go on and do my direct access asap hopefully, whats your opinions on me getting an R6 as a first bike insurance isnt a problem just wana no if you all think its a bike thats tomuch to handle for a newby?:doubt:

cheers Joe

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (06 March 2009 08:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Personally

I would keep the R6 as a longer term goal.  Get a nice comfortable 600/650 with about 60 or 70 bhp.  A lot of people swear blind by the SV650.  And don't forget Honda's CBF600.  Plenty of time to ride R6s and R1s in the future. :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
kirkyboy1986

Sep 08

kirkyboy1986 says:

r6

i think that you might aswell go for it aty the end of the day the bike only goes as fast as you want to let it the more you twist the faster it goes regradless of what bike it is.

just get it but go carefull is my opinion

kirky

Reply to this Topic
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

As I've said before

If that's what you have your heart set on then probably nothing else will do. If you treat it with respect and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn to enjoy it then you should be fine. It will be a steep learning curve and will almost definitely give you a few scary moments.

My main piece of advice would be ride to your own abilities! Even if you go out with a group of people on (supposedly) 'lesser' bikes then don't try and keep up just because you know you are on a quicker bike. Sports 600's are a tough beast to tame for a new rider and need to be treated as such.

You say insurance isn't a problem but you'll want to be fully comp so you're probably talking about £1000 a year to start with and that'll include a large excess. Also on your profile you list your bike as a 2009 R6, if I were you I wouldn't buy a brand new bike. You'll have to run it in and you'll lose a shit load of money on it overnight should you decide it's not the bike for you and want to change it. It'll just make you look like a rich boy with no idea if you have a brand new R6 with inch wide chicken strips on the tyres as well, all the gear - no idea springs to mind! :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
MADMARK99

Jan 05

MADMARK99 says:

check out

the Honda CBR 600 s or f, bit more user friendly for a 1st bike especially if you are really starting from scratch.

http://www.hondaitalia.com/moto/prodotti/foto/moto/CBR600F/CBR600F5/CBR600F5_sb.JPG

Reply to this Topic
r6babe

Feb 09

r6babe says:

SV650s

I am glad I did not go for R6 as first bike - I went for SV650s and got my confidence up - its a very good bike on and off track then when I got my R6 I had a lot more confidence in handling it.  Personally if I had gone for the R6 first I think I would have had quite a few accidents.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

well my

tenpeneth would be i only goes as fast as you want it to you control the bike, the bike doesnt  control you.

I am going to try get an R6 next year so i will have ridden a 125 for 2 years and be derestricted then but im going to try get a 2006 one i think pretty much same bike as a 2009 one just £2,000 cheaper.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

SV650s

Its a perfect blend of "not too much" and "100% is exploitable without the death defying effort".

Even if you only get 1 for a year or so to acclimatize youself with the speed and riding lines etc, its a safe bet!

Crashes come cheap too hahaha, and you will have a crash.

They might also bring in love for V-Twins .... I want to get the 1000cc version of the SV next because its just so so so so fast so so so so easy!

:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
joeyt5569

Mar 09

joeyt5569 says:

thanks

well thanks for all ur opinions its good of ya ill go have a look at a bike shop over weekend and see what i can find

Cheers all

Reply to this Topic
EasyNinja

Jul 05

EasyNinja says:

hmmm ( hopefully not another statistic in the making )

i dont think wit any1 says is gonna change ur mind..... u seem to have made up ur mind ur having an R6 regardless and was probably hoping every1 wud say yeah go for it.. top bloke...

unfortunately the reality isnt the same... an R6 will scare u in a big way if u get it wrong!!...

ive read soo many posts of peeps passing their test,, and they must have the latest sports missile cus they wont look like a real biker riding a commuter / sports tourer ( which wud be a better bike to lkearn the trade on ) and they end up buying the bike they shud have got in the first place..

its ur money ur choice... just dont think ur rossi when u have passed ur test.. trying to ring the neck off it... IT WILL BITE U HARD!!....we all have to learn at a pace that suits us.. i agree with the above comment of keeping the R6 as a bike u work ur way up to..

But again ur money .

Reply to this Topic
Cougarace

Mar 09

Cougarace says:

Faster

Both ideas are good, an SV, Hornet or such like will be easier to ride, but as your heart is set on the R6 you will probably manage quite well with that. My wife started out with an old Fazer for a year and now has a GSXR 750, she was pleased to have done it that way as the Fazer was much more forgiving and cheaper when she dropped it (twice). Loves the Gixer now though!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices