Skip to content

Discuss This MCN Exclusive: Marco Melandri agrees to race Hayate in 2009 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > MCN Exclusive: Marco Melandri agrees to race Hayate in 2009

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

MCN Exclusive: Marco Melandri agrees to race Hayate in 2009

Marco Melandri has decided today (Friday) to race a re-branded factory Kawasaki ZX-RR in the 2009 MotoGP world championship, MCN can exclusively reveal. The Italian has decided to continue riding for the new Hayate team after he tested the ZX-RR during the night test in Qatar earlier this week. Although the former world 250GP champion finished 17th and slowest at the Losail...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (06 March 2009 16:51)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hoppo R46

Jun 08

Hoppo R46 says:

Wise Choice Marco?...

Suppose its better than collecting a giro, and queing at the job centre....

Perhaps! Lol. We'll see how many bones he breaks 1st. Look at how Hopper ended up.. I wish you all the best Marco, think ur gunna need it fella!!

Reply to this Topic
LAWSON21

Feb 09

LAWSON21 says:

good old marco, we need bikes on the grid, and it keeps him in the shop window

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

I wish him the very best of luck but  he'll need it .I just truly hope he does'nt get hurt and do feel sorry for him as he must know he has little chance of scoring any points.

Could he not attract some additional sponsorship for R&D of the bike for the season -Come on BRANSON !!!

Reply to this Topic
Gixxxer1000k4

Feb 06

Bad idea. . .

I think its a bad idea that Marco has decided to race this season on a dog slow bike thats not gonna get any development!

It can only hinder his career further. Think he would have been better trying to secure a decent ride in WSB.

Good luck anyway Marco!!

Reply to this Topic
JustinCredable

Jun 05

Fair play to the guy. I was one of those who thought he would test it, realise how slow it was and then bin the idea of riding it in the 2009 championship. I'd actually buy him a pint for taking it on and wish him well for the season.

Reply to this Topic
Pizzaboy

Sep 07

Pizzaboy says:

Noooo. Marco, what are you doing? Fair play for having the stones to try it but I think that another season trundling around in last place will make both him and the sport look bad.

Sure, it bumps up the numbers on a thinned-out grid - but will Hayate really contribute anything more than weight of metal? I think everyone involved has been working on this deal too long and lost perspective on what the point of racing is.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I like others hope he does well but cant see this happening. last in testing before the season starts and Kawasaki doing no development work during the season doesnt bode well for him.

Compare this with Honda's rescued team in F1, now renamed 'Brawn F1', now they may do even better than last year now they are being supplied with Mercedes engines, all in all a far more serios recue attempt than this Hayate thing that has been cobbled together.

Reply to this Topic
LAWSON21

Feb 09

LAWSON21 says:

BUT, what everone seem's to forget here is how talented marco is! his not some numpty also ran , stick a good rider on a crap bike and he will still kick some  arse out there, because he aint gonna toss it off to make up the numbers, the guy's a motogp winner and if you haven't noticed there aint that many out there on the grid!!

Reply to this Topic
Pizzaboy

Sep 07

Pizzaboy says:

Marco's talent

In reply to LAWSON21 - I agree he's a talented rider but that's exactly why I wish he'd keep his powder dry  and sit out the year on this occasion. His obvious abilities weren't able to make him competitive on a Ducati factory bike last year and while I agree a move to another team outght to show his undoubted ability in a better light, the Kwak squad just ain't it (imoh).

Last year the bike failed to sparkle in the hands of Hopper and West. They got what results they could despite the bike rather than helped by it. Now, while the development of the rest of the grid has moved forward again - nice to see Suzuki looking dangerous again btw - the Hayate machine will be at a disadvantage from the off and will get no better. 

I'm not doing Melandri down - far from it. I like him and he has far more talent than the likes of De Puniet. But after a crap year I want to see him come out fighting on a worthy ride. If that means taking a year out or moving to WSB, then maybe that's better than going the ignominious way of West at the end of this season. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
LAWSON21

Feb 09

LAWSON21 says:

whilst your comment's are constructive and i agree with most off what you have tosay but!!! marco is ex world champion and has the pedigree that niether hopper or west have, As for taking a year out or moving to super's , a year in racing is a long time and there's a young crop of riders trying to break into motogp already, as for super's there's no rides, and as you know all best rides are sorted well before xmas, so where would go? private team, not for someone as talented him it's a shame things are bad, but better to try with what's available then sit out, let's see what happen's to hoppper, then we will see whether marco chose right.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices