Skip to content

Ask an Expert Bike security while touring Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Bike security while touring

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cjduk

Nov 08

cjduk says:

Bike security while touring

New rider about to set out on first mini tour (Scotland), I am using B&Bs with secure parking but am a bit concerned about bike security when I stop en-route for a wander.
I have an approved lock & chain but wondered if I should have an alarm fitted before I go?

Any other tips, security or touring in general, greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (12 March 2009 11:38)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
judge413

Nov 08

judge413 says:

if they really wanna nick it... they will

I look at it like this, if they want it, they will take it. All i say is lock it to something firm like lampost or bike bay hoop etc. or just put loads of locks like disc locks and front brake lock, ive seen them but only on net. remember that these days people seem to ignore alarms. hope u enjoy scotland tho. if ur staying in b & bs they may know of secure bike parking.

Reply to this Topic
cjduk

Nov 08

cjduk says:

if they really wanna nick it... they will

Yeah, I know you are totally right here.
Was just wondering if an alarm was wasting money or worth it just to chuck something else in their way?
For anyone interested, was going to do :
Moffat - Selkirk - Edinburgh - Aviemore - Fortwilliam - Oban.

Reply to this Topic
mikejj

Mar 09

mikejj says:

Security

Dont mean to be rude, but to a degree what you ride may have a bearing on this. If you are on something like a 15 yr old hack, then I would say dont bother, if however you ride is something shiney, new and very desireable then yes I would, but as has already been said on here, if they want it they will get it.

Personally I always carry my chain and lock, then always chain the bike to an imovable object, lampost, cycle rack, copper!!!! Thieving bastards think nothing of picking the bike up and slinging it in to the back of a van if you just chain it up free standing as it were, my friend had his CBR600 dissappear that way. Then they can take their sweet time getting the chain and locks off in some grotty back street shed.

Touring tips in general: dont set yourself silly targets, remember the journey is the holiday so enjoy the ride. Dont look at a map before you go and tick off trophy towns, (got to get their at all costs) you will see nothing.

Travel light.. a few thin layers are better than one thick one.

Every couple of nights make sure your room will have a hairdryer. how else are you gonna dry your skiddies by the morning.

Get yourself some vacumn bags, they compress clothes to half their original bulk, dont forget one for the dirty washing.

Bin it... dont carry half empty bottles of shampoo, shower gel etc, dump it and buy more at the next overnight stop, whats it gonna cost you for the duration £10 at most.

Tell her you are travelling light... that means only 10 pairs of shoes (none of which she will wear) only three spare handbags (none of which she will use) only half your daily makeup,perfume,face cream hair tonic,nail polish, ( none of which she will use) only 12 tops, 15 skirts, 5 pairs jeans and 8 wooly jumpers (none of which she will use)

Oh and watch out for the men up there, heard tell they wear skirts and no knickers, strange lot....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cjduk

Nov 08

cjduk says:

Strange Men

Thanks for tips. Really looking forward to it.
Although not a supersport (GSX650F), the bike is shiney and new and most of all my "pride & joy".
Good point about traveling light, need to get my head into a different mode from my pre-bike trips.
I've already been warned about the skirts & lack of underwear! :shock:

Reply to this Topic
mikejj

Mar 09

mikejj says:

Security

Yeah best not to take too many, she may complain there is not enough room for hers lol,

Great bike, I had the older one for four years and toured twice through europe with it, (my pics in gallery titled France)  it never missed a beat, only thing went wrong was headlight buld blew twice apart from that nothing.

You may want to lift the tank and spray everything with WD40 though. both coils and HT leads live under the front of the tank and in prolonged running in heavy rain, water can get onto the coils and stop you dead.

If you do a lot of miles with your lady on the back, have you tried an Autocom, brilliant piece of kit and totally changes the ride because you can talk to each other, sadly means she can scream at you to slow down a lot easier though lol

Reply to this Topic
Badger57

Dec 08

Badger57 says:

security when touring

Dont worry about security in Scotland, certainly not when you get 50 miles north of Glasgow, have being up there many times and got lots of strange looks when chaining our bikes together, The scots are a decent lot, they say youre bike is safe and up to press, they have been, 2 R1s and a Mille, but do get yourself up the west coast, its simply brilliant

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices