Skip to content

Ask an Expert Hard or soft panniers??? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Hard or soft panniers???

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

red0hand0gang

Mar 09

Hard or soft panniers???

My mate and I are planning on touring this summer. Need to buy some luggage though. I like the price of the soft luggage, but with all the robbing shites around the world looking for an opportunity I think I prefer the security of hard luggage. What are your opinions on soft/hard luggage for touring when the bike is going to be left parked up for a few hours in towns/cities/middleofnowhere?

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (14 March 2009 23:09)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Luggage.

I use GIVI hard luggage. It's great. When we park up, I can dump all my kit in there, and not have to carry it around all day.

On the downside, the fitting kit/frame bits can look ugly. Doesn't bother me though.

Reply to this Topic
skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

luggage

Go for soft luggage, Thieves can get you on your doorstep.I have toured all over europe and never been robbed.Hard or soft, thieves aint gonna care. Put key ring holders through the end of zips they work really well. And most important items carry with you passport, cash in a waist belt. you will forget your carrying it after few hours. Plus soft luggae can expand and get smaller, hard luggage stays one size. I have Oxford which has lifetime warrenty. bit pricey but best bit of biking kit I have EVER bought. Over ten years old and still in top condition.  skippy:smile

Reply to this Topic
torryboy

Mar 09

torryboy says:

luggage

soft easier to hump around doesnt matter what luggage you get if it rains it will get wet what ever.and if some thievin knobs wants it they will steal it anyhow.ps enjoy your trip bud

Reply to this Topic
mikejj

Mar 09

mikejj says:

Hard or soft

I use a combination, a hard top box which gives me some security and throw over Oxford pannies because you can really cram loads of stuff into them. I also find that with the top box rack, I have something solid to strap the soft stuff to, which some say is the draw back of soft luggage.

Which ever you choose, get yourself some vacumn bags, stuff your clothes in then expell all the air, reduces the size by half and if you put them in neatly it also helps stop it creasing into the bargain, rememeber one for you dirty washing as well.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
glenn2926

Aug 07

glenn2926 says:

hard or soft

hard every time, last tour one of the lads had soft luggage we (hard luggage types) were on our second beer by the time he had removed it from his bike,gave us someone to laugh at while we were drinking though.:lol:

Reply to this Topic
FirebladeRR8

Jun 08

FirebladeRR8 says:

Security for Soft luggage

I've seen a metal wire mesh which is used by backpackers, which you can stow away when u dont need it, then wrap round your kit and lock it up when parked, don't know if it will fit 100% any security is only a deterrent, if they want it bad enough, they will get it.........And if you traveling in Holland, worry more about your Bike! as Motorcycle theft is rife their! Have a look at www.cotswoldoutdoor.com item Number B6110059. Hope it helps.:smile

Reply to this Topic
red0hand0gang

Mar 09

THANK YOU EVERYONE

Very much appreciate your thoughts and advice. I am now looking at the Oxford "Sprint" panniers. They seem to be ultra expandable, look good and can rucksack themselves together if I feel I need to take them with me.

Our plan is 2 nights illegal camping by the road then 1 night B&B for a poo and shower. We will probably do the coast road along the south coast.

Thanks again.

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Had both

I prefer the hard luggage for when the bike is parked out of site. But for the odd couple of nights, I had the Oxford throw overs for years, and they were fine.

U2BF

Reply to this Topic
hondated

Nov 07

hondated says:

Hard or Soft Panniers

Last year I went to Spanish Motogp and I used panniers and tailpack.But what I learnt from other lads on the trip was why carry all that gear when you can take a pair of pants for each day ( or 2 days I know I know). which you can throw way when used, wear a cooling top which you can wash out of an evening, 2 casual shirts, a pair of trousers, a pair of shoes and your washing gear.That way you only need a tail pack.As for me this year I am off to the TT and I will put what I want in my Top Box.I know not very cool but very practical

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

hard of soft?

I did the Isle of Man for a week, and my ONLY luggage was a tailpack that was no bigger than 12" cube. AND I had a ruck sack IN it, just in case.

I also brought back a box of manx kippers.:lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices