You are in... Forums > General > General > death toll

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

davgh

Jul 07

davgh says:

death toll

4 bikers were killed on Scotlands roads at the weekend and the best the Police have to say is 'Police have warned bikers to take extra care on the roads' No mention of the fact that all four were killed by collisions with car drivers 'probably' still half cut from the night before or more likely on there mobile phones. The attention span of car drivers these days is shocking, if this years 'statistics' are to be minisied at all its not bikers that have to be warned its all these bloody car drivers that climb behind the wheel of there 'killing machines' and continue there sleepy long lie in...Take care out there my friends or you to could end up a statistic on a Police wall somewhere..:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (23 March 2009 08:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
specky2wheels

Mar 09

Death toll...

The figures in the Scotsman link must refer to accidents. Total road fatalities in the UK are around 3000 per annum, with around one-fifth of those being motorcyclists of some sort. The total accident rate is far higher. You don't have to look hard to find official reports with the breakdown of the numbers, but the most chilling figure is that while motorcyclists make up just 1% of road users they comprise around 20% of fatalities on the roads. Top three accident causes are: (1) Right of way violations; (2) Loss of control on a bend, corner or curve; (3) Motorcycle manoeuvrability accidents. These reports make for sobering reading, but knee-jerk reactions blaming cars helps no-one.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

sky

but i was pretty suprise to read at the bottom of the artical.

There were 23,459 people killed while driving motorcycles in the UK in 2007 and an estimated 16,310 in the first three quarters of 2008.

Is that correct... it seems awfully high!?

As MCN Sam has pointed out those figures are ludicrous! - That would be over 450 a week! :blink:... At those rates, - biking would have been banned long ago! :winkie:..you would be safer fighting in Afghanistan! :huh:

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

MCN Sam

The Scotsman is an Edinburgh based paper, you can't expect them to get anything right! :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Baffling............................

Could the second accident you mention have been caused by a car driver pulling out to overtake just as a following biker was overtaking them?  Just a thought, but quite common on long straight bits of road.

Cheers,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
skycat

Jul 05

skycat says:

Thank Sam and R100

I thought the numbers were way way off..!!! 

:huh:

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

shad

that happened to me,not yesterday ( was at work ) but wek before.

on a road you will prob know (A422 between buckingham & farthinghoe)

out with o/h her 2nd ride ever after passing test,came up behind a car that was behind a car, saw in his mirrors that he had seen me, i indicated pulled out but had THAT FEELING you all know the one,sure enough half way past him his indicator came on & he started to pull out immediatly... as a said half expected it so had  already knocked her down a couple of gears,pulled over to far side & throttled it,twat missed me..BUT if that had been the o/h ( inexperienced ) cnut would have wiped her out..

take care ppl.

weasel

Reply to this Topic
liquid_metal

Mar 08

liquid_metal says:

fighting a losing battle

every one always blames the bikers, i live in wales and 2 saturdays ago a biker got killed because the police was doing there road side checks (but only pulling bikes over, as always) there was a woman that had just passed her driving test, thought the police was pulling her over so she jumped on the brakes, swerved across the road causing an accident and one biker died. all because the police wanted to see if they could slap a £60 fine on someone as it was a bright day and they know all the bikers would be arouind, if the police was doing real police work catching real bad guys and wasn't arould trying to catch someone with a small number plate or race exhaust that accident wouldn't have happened

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

there are...

average 500 bikers killed a yr. 1500 serious injuries, skycat. the info you got included all minor drops etc.

in the 80s , the average was creeping nr 800 deaths a yr. biking is safer.

3000 cyclists apparantly die each yr, according to cop show, though i dont believe its anywhere nr that. if so, why are cyclists not being hammered for insurance etc!

the worst time to ride a bike is the "sress part of the day" rush hour or 3.

people in the morning paniking to get to work, or home from work. must admit, if you dont look 3 times in a car at junctions, you may pull out on someone.

wheelie bins placed at the curb due to lazy council workers, are blocking the view of bikes. anyone noticed this?

Reply to this Topic
davgh

Jul 07

davgh says:

Shad.

No I don’t write for the sun, do you?

I only write from what I have experienced, ie half cut ,half asleep car drivers and mobile phone users.

Anyway you’ve obviously missed the point of my post, that as of this morning 5 people ain’t going to there work because of what they love and have ended up a very tragic statistic on a chart somewhere. That is the real tragedy of the weekend no matter who's to blame...

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Dave...................

Dave,  I understood the serious point in your posting, however I have a real problem with the assumption that because you are a "biker" you automatically assume it's anyone but the other bikers to blame for all these accidents.

Accidents happen, and sometimes it's down to bad car drivers, or bad riders, or pedestrians walking out in front of a bike, or animals, and sometimes simply because something happens (mechanical / natural etc.) that the rider couldn't have anticipated.

Please try to think of the feelings of the unfortunate souls who may have been involved, whether through their fault, or entirely innocently.  Branding them all half pissed and on their phones doesn't help what is really a tragedy for all involved.

Now I don't know what you've observed, but if every car driver you've seen make ill advised moves has been half cut, half asleep or on their phone I'd be very surprised.  I'd also be very surprised if not one of the 5 fatalaties was caused at least in part by rider error.

If you want to post facts that's fine.  If you want to post your opinions then state that that is what you have done.  I don't think "No mention of the fact that all four were killed by collisions with car drivers 'probably' still half cut from the night before or more likely on there mobile phones" does this.

Ride safe and stop patronising me - my disagreeing with you doesn't mean I've failed to understand what you've written, simply that I don't agree with you.

Shad. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices