Skip to content

General buying from a salvager? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > buying from a salvager?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yuzzy9

Feb 09

yuzzy9 says:

buying from a salvager?

a friend of mine is looking to buy a bike from a salvager/breaker.its a 03 cbr 600rr.its only got minor cosmetic damage and seems to look the part. the trouble is im hearing stories about that kind of place just throwing the bikes together whith any old sh*t....has anybody had any good or bad deals from that kind of place. your advice is much appreciated

cheers  lee

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (23 March 2009 15:08)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

How long has breakers been trading?

What happened to the bike fo it to finish up in a salvage yard?

My understanding is that the yard don't do any work to the bikes, they take them in where insurance companies have declared it to be a "write off" (ie, where the insurance deems it to be more cost effective to replace it than to carry out repairs - it doesn't necesseraily mean its badly damaged or unsafe). There are 4 categories of write off, A, B, C and D covering structurally unsafe vehicles (after impact), blood contamination, (both of these types destroyed to prevent them going back on the road), and motors which need work to bring them up (possible project for someone who's handy, but uneconomic for insurance to pay parts/labour/vat to have it done proffesionally).

I'd certainly look at it, but do check carefully.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Salvaged bikes

Nooooo.
Bought one many moons ago, and it reminded me of that old country and western song. 'It's a 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 model etc.
Oh and the frame was bent.
From what I've seen, they tend to be over priced when you add together everything you'll need to repair. But buyer beware..

Reply to this Topic
morris987@btinternet.com

Dec 08

yep

caveat emptor as norris said have bought one in the past and came out on top just be wary

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

It's a risk

I bought my '04 FZ6 Fazer from a guy on e-bay. It was a category D write-off with a dent on the tank and a hefty scratch on the frame. The reason I took the risk was that it had 7700 miles on the clock and came with a month guarantee and the guy had consistent good feedback on e-bay.

Fact is that the guy had got the bike in an auction as a write off and just put an MOT on it then put it on ebay. It didn't need any repairs and I've left the dent and the scratch as it's parked on the street so who cares if it looks a bit duffed-up.

My advice is be cautious, but don't dismiss a good deal if it comes your way. Problem with a CBR600 is that with that fairing you can't see the whole bike easily. I could get a really good look at the bike I bought as the engine was exposed and you could tell it had been looked after - no furring on the bolts, engine pristine and down pipes shiny. 

However, if your mate can try out the bike, has friends who can give an opinion and gets a kosher guarantee - even a couple of weeks - then I'd say it's worth considering. Mind you, any deal that seems to good to be true probably is.

Best of luck,

Kim

Reply to this Topic
yuzzy9

Feb 09

yuzzy9 says:

cheers

thanx for the info guys.i would feel bad if i had recomended it to him and then it went and blew up or something:shock:

cheers  lee

Reply to this Topic
Roadtorque

Jul 07

Roadtorque says:

Salvaged bikes

a few bikes that go through the yards aren't all write offs or been in a shunt, some are from people that have had them in their garage for years & just want to be shut of it,, dirty, scruffy with a few dents & scratches,, not much to look at but basically sound,, a bit of cash & t,l,c you could have a little gem

give it a good going over if your not sure walk away

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices